Colored chicks??????

While the children were wrong, your sister was even more at fault for buying live animals for these children. This was not the store's fault or the hatchery's fault for having dyed live stock it was your sisters for not buying responsibly.

Its very sad. I have wanted chickens for years, and finally got my husband to agree and he built the coop back in Oct, I ordered my chicks in Nov and they were delieverd Feb 14. I love my almost 4 week old brats - they are so much fun to watch and play with, they jump right in my lap and sleep, or peck, or poop lol

Anyway - my sister came over the other day and wanted to see them, and she told me she bought chicks and ducks on a whim one easter for her step kids.. MONSTERS who are now in juvie or god knows where.. well, the lucky ducks eventually grew large enough to get in the creek behind the house and swim to safety, and the unlucky chicks and ducks that were not nimble enough to escape, had thier little heads pulled off by a horrid barbaric teenager girl who thought it was funny.

It makes me sick to my stomach to even think of that and all these poor babies being sold over easter who are going to be abused, misused and discarded.

Let me tell you a little story about a young man, his newly married wife, and some blue easter chicks. All names have been changed to protect me from my wife.
Once there was a young man who had grown up thinking that roosters laid eggs. Well, maybe not quite that bad but let's just say he didn't have much interaction with livestock beyond the "hamburgers with hooves" kind. His wife, she's a sweet young thing who loves anything bright blue, and it's nearly Easter.

This fine young couple, they are just about as poor as dirt, and they take a stroll through downtown because air is free and walking is free and the lights downtown are pretty, and there, in a cage outside the feed store, are every color you can imagine of chickens. [You, the one that imagined the paisley colored chick - leave now. The rest of you thinking of blue, green, red (yes, red), yellow and white, you can stay]. And the young woman thinks they are possibly the cutest things ever. Will they lay eggs? Well, the feed store guy doesn't quite lie -"all the hens do" is his answer. We'll come back to that in a bit. So the man and his wife go home with two tiny peeps in a box and ten pounds of food, and his wife was very, very happy until she discovered that chicks are essentially composed of crap.

Flash forward two weeks:
Chicks are now full on chuggly and all that blue is coming out everywhere. The chicks have activated their crap-o-matic and while they aren't laying any white eggs, they are leaving small "chocolate" eggs everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And did I mention that we, I mean "they" didnt' have a brooder? No problem: They closed them up in the bathroom and ran a heater in there. Yeah, really. The bathroom smelled like chicken crap casserole. Those young idiots are lucky that they neither barbecued the chicks alive nor burned down their house.

Flash forward a few months. Chicks are now -ens, and big white ones. And what is weird is that they keep making noises every morning. And every night. Almost sounds like that boy picked him out a cockerel by accident. And their combs - so bright red, and huge. But the boy, he's done his research on that new fangled "AOL" and those chickens won't lay until at least six months. Good thing those chickens eat everything that comes out of the kitchen.

Six months to the day, the boy finally looks at the two once blue chickens with their huge, arced tail feathers and wattles that would make a turkey jealous and says he is done feeding them.
The wife and he eat chicken for dinner two nights in a row, so the story has a happy ending, of sorts (but not for the chicks). These days I am firmly in the "know what you are getting into" camp. Those cute little dyed fuzzballs at the feedstore are designed to sucker people into buying them, and they do. Not everyone will take care of them for six months to get an egg, assuming they even get pullets. Those who wind up with cockerels, well, maybe they have the gumption to eat them and maybe not.

Say no to dyed chicks. Animals and livestock are a commitment, and you don't commit on cute.

Now that's a chick of adifferent color! I know they use gelatin to dye some animalss. To me chicks don't need anymore cuteness. I am having to be strong right now just to get out of tsc without that lil box right now

I thought they colored the chicks like this...?

They are too rough with them, put them in a box type thing, put dye all over them and shake them around, like the videos show.

This is the worst video I have seen on it, the people are all bundled up, so I am assuming it's pretty cold for the chicks and the guy gives them to people in plastic bags..like a goldfish!!!!! ARGH!
somad.gif

Love the story. LOL very funny

Let me tell you a little story about a young man, his newly married wife, and some blue easter chicks. All names have been changed to protect me from my wife.
Once there was a young man who had grown up thinking that roosters laid eggs. Well, maybe not quite that bad but let's just say he didn't have much interaction with livestock beyond the "hamburgers with hooves" kind. His wife, she's a sweet young thing who loves anything bright blue, and it's nearly Easter.

This fine young couple, they are just about as poor as dirt, and they take a stroll through downtown because air is free and walking is free and the lights downtown are pretty, and there, in a cage outside the feed store, are every color you can imagine of chickens. [You, the one that imagined the paisley colored chick - leave now. The rest of you thinking of blue, green, red (yes, red), yellow and white, you can stay]. And the young woman thinks they are possibly the cutest things ever. Will they lay eggs? Well, the feed store guy doesn't quite lie -"all the hens do" is his answer. We'll come back to that in a bit. So the man and his wife go home with two tiny peeps in a box and ten pounds of food, and his wife was very, very happy until she discovered that chicks are essentially composed of crap.

Flash forward two weeks:
Chicks are now full on chuggly and all that blue is coming out everywhere. The chicks have activated their crap-o-matic and while they aren't laying any white eggs, they are leaving small "chocolate" eggs everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And did I mention that we, I mean "they" didnt' have a brooder? No problem: They closed them up in the bathroom and ran a heater in there. Yeah, really. The bathroom smelled like chicken crap casserole. Those young idiots are lucky that they neither barbecued the chicks alive nor burned down their house.

Flash forward a few months. Chicks are now -ens, and big white ones. And what is weird is that they keep making noises every morning. And every night. Almost sounds like that boy picked him out a cockerel by accident. And their combs - so bright red, and huge. But the boy, he's done his research on that new fangled "AOL" and those chickens won't lay until at least six months. Good thing those chickens eat everything that comes out of the kitchen.

Six months to the day, the boy finally looks at the two once blue chickens with their huge, arced tail feathers and wattles that would make a turkey jealous and says he is done feeding them.
The wife and he eat chicken for dinner two nights in a row, so the story has a happy ending, of sorts (but not for the chicks). These days I am firmly in the "know what you are getting into" camp. Those cute little dyed fuzzballs at the feedstore are designed to sucker people into buying them, and they do. Not everyone will take care of them for six months to get an egg, assuming they even get pullets. Those who wind up with cockerels, well, maybe they have the gumption to eat them and maybe not.

Say no to dyed chicks. Animals and livestock are a commitment, and you don't commit on cute.

The chicks that are dyed are dyed between days 11 and 14 of incubation. In my state it is illegal to sell them it is also illegal for any feed store to sell less then six chicks.

I whole heartedly agree with Yellowrose, more education and less legislation. I understand why my state has a six chick minimum, I hate it. I have a small back yard flock and only want one or two at a time. I get why they don't sell colored chicks, however I've seen many kids who don't care about the color they just want a cute chick.

I personally don't think that the chicks (ones dyed while in the egg) are harmed. Researchers do it all the time in order know which chicks are being used for what. Many breeders do it to mark their chicks. I don't agree in the process of dipping them in dye, because they could breath it in and die.

And some probably do and die because of it, but we'll never know about them.
sad.png

While the children were wrong, your sister was even more at fault for buying live animals for these children. This was not the store's fault or the hatchery's fault for having dyed live stock it was your sisters for not buying responsibly. 

Absolutely. I was so mad at her for that. I think she still thinks nothing was wrong about buying them, never intending to raise or keep them responsibly or humanely. I don't understand such blatant disregard for life any life.

I thought they colored the chicks like this...?

They are too rough with them, put them in a box type thing, put dye all over them and shake them around, like the videos show.

This is the worst video I have seen on it, the people are all bundled up, so I am assuming it's pretty cold for the chicks and the guy gives them to people in plastic bags..like a goldfish!!!!! ARGH!
somad.gif

That is awful. They are so rough with the chicks, and the poor things come out all wet and sticky! And selling them in plastic bags??
ep.gif

I love getting my girls colored chicks. We just raise them with the other chickens. Always roosters usually. Taste like any other chickens when bbq'd or in soup in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom