Colored egg breeds?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi, so I have 6 light brown layers and 1 that lay’s green eggs but I would like to get a few other colors. Like blue, pink, dark brown etc. What breeds would you recommend that are good layers? Thanks

Marans are known for their dark chocolate eggs. A few other breeds can lay dark eggs as well. Wellsummer I think maybe another breed. Cream created legbar is another blue egg laying breed. Hatcheries also sell hybrids that are intended to lay blues and greens. I am unaware of any breeds for pink, but sometimes the bloom on individual chickens makes the egg appear pink or plum colored.

Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas are my favorites, laying green/blue eggs.
Marans are known for their dark chocolate eggs. A few other breeds can lay dark eggs as well. Wellsummer I think maybe another breed. Cream created legbar is another blue egg laying breed. Hatcheries also sell hybrids that are intended to lay blues and greens. I am unaware of any breeds for pink, but sometimes the bloom on individual chickens makes the egg appear pink or plum colored.
Thanks, I believe I already have a Ameraucana but all her eggs are a sage green.
7AD720D0-739B-4630-A18B-1B72E9A03E24.jpeg
2BB1EF4F-5BA9-43F6-900C-C5311935D678.jpeg

Your green egg laying chicken looks like an easter egger to me. Cute girl!
I'd guess It's some sort of Easter Egger or Ameraucana Mix that was sold at a feedstore or a hatchery advertised as an Ameraucana.
I got her from a farm that my sister works at… they hatched her and my I think road island red hen. They are probably both mixes of some kind. The farm has a thousand or two chickens of different breeds.

The green eggs in the picture are Snuggle’s (my americana, or Easter Egger)
122AE880-9525-4F04-8F40-321B27B06D84.jpeg

Attachments

• 0A304681-87D8-4A26-A3E4-C5207BA700EE.jpeg
    0A304681-87D8-4A26-A3E4-C5207BA700EE.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I got her from a farm that my sister works at… they hatched her and my I think road island red hen. They are probably both mixes of some kind. The farm has a thousand or two chickens of different breeds.

The green eggs in the picture are Snuggle’s (my americana, or Easter Egger)View attachment 3366006
The bird pictured isn't a RIR

My Welsummer & Marans lay a dark brown egg. The Welsummer is the friendliest but super loud as a breed in general if that is a consideration you would need to know about. I believe Pendenesca lay darker brown also.

Cream Legbar, Ameraucana, Isbar, Easter Egger & Olive Egger would get you a variety of greens and blues. McMurray also had a Whiting Green & Whiting Blue offered that lay green & blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom