Columbian Color Genetics

So, just keep crossing back to the Delaware Roo for coloring and keep the pea-combed offspring? I'm going to hatch my own Deli's from eggs from a reliable strain, but I'm guessing my cornish will have to come from hatchery stock
sad.png

The upside is, I can eat my culls
droolin.gif
Hoping that this works out decently enough. I'm going to order them this year and let them mature over the winter so I can hatch plenty of chicks in the spring!

Quote:
I emailed my bro(biomistake) and gave him the link to this thread maybe he'll chime in here soon and fill you in on his results of his Del-corn crosses. I think he was quite pleased with his efforts if memory serves correctly.

Jeff

Hello, I can report that the delcorn is quite the cross. The cockerels and pullets were dirty white columbian with some single lacing. They were excellent foragers and broodies. They could clear a 4 ft fence with no problems but like the cornish pick one up and you realized they were heavier than they seemed. The Delaware adds to their feathering and egg laying ability. My girls laid extra large eggs that were a light pale egg.

I would recommend you getting enough cornish hens so you can select the size of bird you want.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get them off of another computer this evening.

Quote:
That would be EXCELLENT! I'm building a second coop for the meat project so they can be kept separate from the layers (you can see what I have in my signature!). If you could, could you explain how many crosses you did before you started crossing them together? Did you ever end up with a "pure strain" that you fixed? Or did you just keep crossing Deli roos over cornish hens?

I'm thinking I'll buy 20 roos, and 20 hens and then keep the best two roos and best eight hens for breeders (based on feathering, weight, and maturity).

Back
Top Bottom