Turkey breeds/genetics

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I've read in several places that all heritage turkeys are the same, and the only genetic difference is feather color.
On the other hand, the Livestock Conservancy has a Turkey Breed Comparison Chart with different characteristics for each breed. For example, an adult Beltsville White Turkey weighs 21 lbs, while an adult Black Turkey weighs 33 lbs. That's a big difference!

Two Questions:
-It seems that the white heritage turkeys are much smaller than the other colors. Is the white color genetically linked to smaller size?
-If I order from a reputable hatchery like Cackle, will my turkeys grow up to roughly match the sizes listed by the Livestock Conservancy?

No. White isn’t linked to size. White heritage turkeys are the biggest and smallest heritage turkey varieties. Beltsville Small Whites and Midget Whites being the smallest and Holland Whites being the largest (along with Bronze.)
Hatchery turkeys will not be the right size. I would recommend getting them from a breeder who breeds to the Standard of Perfection.

I would recommend getting them from a breeder who breeds to the Standard of Perfection.
Do you know where to find such breeders? The Livestock Conservancy has a breeder's directory, but the information seems to be out of date.

@Amer I found this on several of Cackle's listings:

Does that mean Cackle's turkeys will match the Standard of Perfection, or is it just marketing fluff?
Anyone can breed a variety recognized by the APA.
But that doesn’t mean they breed their birds to the Standard.
I would check in with the American Turkey Association on Facebook.

Ok.
Well, the reality of finding a reputable breeder is they probably won’t ship and you may have to travel for hours to pick up birds. Also, the only guarantee of show quality birds is buying adult birds, but you could alternatively buy many poults and select good breeders from the mix. Also, some breeders will only sell adult birds.
However, as a breeder to the Standard of Perfection, I can say that it is worth the extra mile to acquire top-quality birds.
Since you do not have your location posted, I can’t make any recommendations of breeders.

Ok.
Well, the reality of finding a reputable breeder is they probably won’t ship and you may have to travel for hours to pick up birds. Also, the only guarantee of show quality birds is buying adult birds, but you could alternatively buy many poults and select good breeders from the mix. Also, some breeders will only sell adult birds.
However, as a breeder to the Standard of Perfection, I can say that it is worth the extra mile to acquire top-quality birds.
Since you do not have your location posted, I can’t make any recommendations of breeders.
What kind of turkeys do you breed?

I'm actually not picky. I'd like something that can live for quite a few years and not exceed about 20 lbs. Doesn't have to be show quality or anything, I just don't know where to start looking.

What kind of turkeys do you breed?

I'm actually not picky. I'd like something that can live for quite a few years and not exceed about 20 lbs. Doesn't have to be show quality or anything, I just don't know where to start looking.
I only breed bantam chickens. I definitely want to start breeding turkeys but don't have the means, currently.

Okay, well, then, by all means, get Midget Whites, Royal Palms, or Beltsville Small Whites from a hatchery. They might not meet Standard weights exactly, but they shouldn't exceed much more than 20 lbs. It is true that Standard breeders might have slightly smaller Beltsvilles (the goal being the smaller the better), but if you are just looking for a pretty small breed, hatchery birds are fine.

I've read in several places that all heritage turkeys are the same, and the only genetic difference is feather color.
All domestic turkeys are the same breed Turkey. They are different varieties.
the Livestock Conservancy has a Turkey Breed Comparison Chart with different characteristics for each breed.
This is an error on their part because the title and thinking that they are separate breeds is wrong. The APA lists one breed for domestic turkeys and that breed is Turkey.

The different varieties can have different characteristics. The broad breasted varieties obviously are a much larger variety than are the heritage turkeys.

-It seems that the white heritage turkeys are much smaller than the other colors. Is the white color genetically linked to smaller size?
The white color gene has no relation to the size of the adult turkey. You can get Midget Whites that are both broad breasted and small or Broad Breasted Whites that are huge.

Back
Top Bottom