Columbian Rock Thread!!!!

Pics
Quote:
the F1 Females will be E/eWh(black down) Co/co+(het for columbian) S/-(Silver) The hens will not be solid black due to the Columbian gene found on Columbian Rocks, will look like Black Sexlinks but instead of showing red/gold leakage they will show silver...

Quote: I dont want to be contrary.....you are certainly right "per genetics theory" IF AND ONLY IF there are no unknown genetics hidden under either of the birds.....however, phenotype will be black....some occasional silver in the hackles expressed, but there will be some that are "black barred" as well, which the phenotype of will be black

I speak from experience as I am now on an F2 segment of this process....breeding pens for F3s are set up. I have 2, F1 females that are solid black....sire was Col Rock and the dame was exhibition barred rock

while the best rout to go would be to stay within the Breed(PR) you COULD use good sized Herritage Delaware Hens, they have ALL the need it genes to produce F1 Females that look just like Columbian Rock pullets...

these F1s Female will have the same Genotype and Phenotype of Columbian Rock Pullets, the difference will be minimal

Quote:
I dont quite understand your statement.! when you cross a none barred Male over a Barred Female that on itself produce 100% sex links, males will be barred(black barred if Barred Rock hen is used) and the Female will be mostly Solid black(no barring)... Hatcheries Base their own black sex link pullets on this genetic principle, its 100% accurate

Quote: My apologizes.....completely misspoken

Females will be black (phenotype) but in my experience not necessarily expressing silver (from Columbian)

Females will be - Eeb Coco+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ mh+mh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+- S- Choc+-

I did have a few females with a bit of silver in the hackles (culled) ....the silver was just a very small amount at the very tip of the hackles

I am a genetics "moron" so I rely on very limited knowledge and a friend who has a PhD in genetics....my degrees are in engineering and an MBA so natural sciences don't "click" to easily to me. I speak more from experience than knowledge of theory

Quote:
the Degree of the Leakage of Silver will vary, some will show alot and some will not show any.. Canadian Columbian Rocks are wheaten based, their chicks are yellow at hatch,

These are mine almost 8 months old they lay every day, a bit pushy when it comes to treat time and they definitely rule the roost.All in all I like them very much just wish they wouldn't pick on my barred rocks so much.

Back
Top Bottom