Columbian Rock Thread!!!!

I have 5 female Columbian Rocks and 2 male CRs. I have tried 6 different breeds offered more readily around SW Ontario and have found that by FAR the friendliest and most outgoing from hatching are the CRs. I love them!! Even from day old chicks they are inquisitive, friendly and bold. As soon as you open the cage or barn door they run up to me and are almost never afraid. They jump on my lap, sit down and like to be pet and fall asleep on my lap!! They even love to have their neck massaged and will stretch out their neck. THey like their head near the comb touched and are very trusting chickens. When they free range they are bold and are good foragers. They are a noisy when they come around you. They make a noise that is almost like 'touch me, I am here'. They are almost so friendly that to new people they are scary. They also like to jump up and investigate what earrings I am wearing day to day, hoping for something like a pearl so they can snatch out of my ear and play 'keep away' with the rest of the flock. (Not fun). They lead the pack and are probably the largest of all the birds. I also find them incredibly smart (for a chicken :) ) in comparison to the others. My other favourite for how strange they are, are the Plymouth Barred Rocks. They are flighty a bit and don't like to be touched really at all, since birth, but yet they follow me around and like me to touch their beak. It's odd. And they have giant beaks!! They are the most noisy of the hens. Always making a noise whereever they go. They are so pretty though you want to touch them.
I know this is an old comment but I had to reply because your description makes me think of my birds! My CRs are my biggest, most adventurous, and nearly friendliest birds at 5weeks, and my BPR are also my flightiest, most skittish birds too. Interesting
1f642.png

Here are my two columbian rocks, one has a darker red face then the other. not easy taken photos but I did my best - 2 months 1 week old

Laverne loves treats, so as soon as she sees me she comes running. i love when they do that. She's the one with the darker red face. the top photo

Back
Top Bottom