Comb combinations and gamefowl

ThiefPouter06

Songster
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
green co. KY
I still am confused by the genetics of the comb. Anyway I have a straight combed american game hen that was bred to a sumatra. The first 6 eggs she layed were from a previous unknown mate (layed during the first two weeks) and the next five from the sumatra. 8 hatched. Two are blue so it is obvious they were from the previous mate. Some are straight combed some pea and one assumed rose (7 weeks old , its large, wide and comes to a point). So one can assume the sumatra F1's will all have pea combs (heterozygous)? The unknown rooster must carry straight comb. But the rose comb confuses me. This guy is a game breeder. Nothing on his farm but american game, old game line of sumatra and oriental games (except a few non moulting pheonix in there special boxes). There arent too many rose comb game, I think The Spanish, puerto rican and latin breeds have rose but these arent too common in my area. Is there a combo of comb genes(walnut or cushion) that could produce rose comb? Some of the orientals have cushion etc. Or in order to get rose do need one to have a rose comb?

I still am confused by the genetics of the comb. Anyway I have a straight combed american game hen that was bred to a sumatra. The first 6 eggs she layed were from a previous unknown mate (layed during the first two weeks) and the next five from the sumatra. 8 hatched. Two are blue so it is obvious they were from the previous mate. Some are straight combed some pea and one assumed rose (7 weeks old , its large, wide and comes to a point). So one can assume the sumatra F1's will all have pea combs (heterozygous)? The unknown rooster must carry straight comb. But the rose comb confuses me. This guy is a game breeder. Nothing on his farm but american game, old game line of sumatra and oriental games (except a few non moulting pheonix in there special boxes). There arent too many rose comb game, I think The Spanish, puerto rican and latin breeds have rose but these arent too common in my area. Is there a combo of comb genes(walnut or cushion) that could produce rose comb? Some of the orientals have cushion etc. Or in order to get rose do need one to have a rose comb?
Not necessarily from the previous mate, she may have bread with a black Sumatra, but that does not mean that the black Sumatra does not have the blue Jean when you cross two blue Sumatra 50% of your hatch will be blue 25% will be black and 25% will be splash. It is very possible that your Sumatra that you are breeding is carrying the blue Jean

Not necessarily from the previous mate, she may have bread with a black Sumatra, but that does not mean that the black Sumatra does not have the blue Jean when you cross two blue Sumatra 50% of your hatch will be blue 25% will be black and 25% will be splash. It is very possible that your Sumatra that you are breeding is carrying the blue Jean
Lol this is from 2011 haha

13 year old post. Plus if the Sumatra carried blue, it would be a blue Sumatra, not a black Sumatra

Wrong. A black Sumatra does not have the blue gene. If it has the blue gene, it will be a Blue Sumatra. When you breed two blue Sumatras and get 25% black chicks, those black ones have NO blue genes. They cannot give blue to their chicks.

Lol this is from 2011 haha
Very good point.

But since no-one actually responded at the time....
the rose comb confuses me. This guy is a game breeder. Nothing on his farm but american game, old game line of sumatra and oriental games (except a few non moulting pheonix in there special boxes). There arent too many rose comb game, I think The Spanish, puerto rican and latin breeds have rose but these arent too common in my area. Is there a combo of comb genes(walnut or cushion) that could produce rose comb? Some of the orientals have cushion etc. Or in order to get rose do need one to have a rose comb?
Cushion comb is genetically pea and rose at the same time. So yes, a chicken with a cushion comb has the gene for rose comb, and can produce chicks who show a rose comb.

(This is way too late to help the original poster, but now it is here for anyone else who is searching for an answer to the same question.)

Back
Top Bottom