Combining colors

I just looked further at the information from Leggs Peafowl. He stated that in the first batch of offspring (which included one "Peach" hen), there was one regular IB hen. That adds weight to my supposition that "Peach" is really "Purple-Cameo." Here's why:

The male was split to Cameo and Purple. That means one Z chromosome had Cameo, and the other Z chromosome had Purple. A hen offspring inherits one Z from Dad and one W from mom. The IB hen from this pairing had NEITHER Purple nor Cameo. That means her Z chromosome had neither mutation. How could that have happened? Think about it -- Dad had two kinds of Z: one with Purple and one with Cameo. How did this female inherit a Z with NEITHER mutation? It HAD to have been a crossover event. Look back at my previous post explaining crossover. Just as one sperm can have a recombined Z that has BOTH mutations after crossover, another sperm can have a recombined Z that has NEITHER mutation. Hmmm....I wonder if this should be brought to the attention of the UPA.

:)

~Christopher

Quote:
The W is disregarded with respect to color inheritance, but it's STILL a sex chromosome, just as the Y chromosome in mammals is as well. In humans, individuals with only one sex-chromosome have Turner's Syndrome (one X chromosome only, no Y). Cells formed with only one Y and no X fail to develop fully.

~Christopher

Quote:
Prairiehen... White eye and Black shoulder are what are called "patterns" as you can have a WE and BS in any color of peafowl as well as Pied and Spalding and silver pied. Check the United Peafowl Association for a list of 225 different peafowl.. It will list the colors and the patterns in these colors. Go to www.peafowl.org for more info.. George ,, Connerhills

I wanted to add one thing: if "Peach" really is "Purple-Cameo" then one could have a nice breeding pen of one "Peach" male with one Purple female and one Cameo female. Offspring from the Purple female would be Purple males and "Peach" females; offspring from the Cameo female would be Cameo males and "Peach" females. And, of course, all the males would also be split to "Peach."

~Christopher

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information now I know I have five young roosters.
big_smile.png

Christopher. I love your post. I honestly dont know if alot of the peacock breeders TRULYTRULY understand genetics such as you and a fellow named Kermit.(Goes by the internet name Resolution) Also on a side note. He frowns tremendously on crossing or hybrids of any species. That being said from what I gather most colors after the India blue, green sub-species and the white were 70% haphazard and 30% genetics. At this point in the game with over 200 reconized color variations maybe genetics should be more involved so everyone can get the designer color (like chickens are now)that they are looking for. Im personally waiting on the "RED PEAFOWL".
lau.gif
. But IMO Im still pleased more than anything with the original three and I have seen ALOT of peafowl. But to each his own as long as there are a few pure ones left in the world.

I wish I could answer this but I know next to NOTHING about mutations and am not crazy about them ( though I must admit the Opal Spauldings running about my farm are exquisite!). The expert I would encourage to search out is named Manny Moreira. I don't think anyone knows anything close to what he does when it comes to peafowl mutations.
all the best!

The chance that a crossing over occurs between the purple and cameo genes depends on the distance between them. If it is more than 50 map-units (centi morgan) the genes inherit as if they were not linked. Applies to males only here.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, but I don't know where on the Z chromosomes each gene lies. However, judging from the "History of the Peach Mutation" from Bradd Legg's website, there is evidence that it occurred. Otherwise, a male split to both Purple and Cameo could not have normal IB female offspring. This double-split male, without crossover, would have one Z chromosome with the Purple gene on it, and the other Z chromosome with the Cameo gene on it. Thus female offspring, inheriting one or the other Z chromosome from their father, would have to be either Purple or Cameo. Only if crossover occurred could there be an inheritance of a Z chromosome with neither gene, and thus a female of normal IB coloration. That this normal IB female had a sister who was "Peach" indicates that instead of Purple or Cameo being passed down, the options were normal IB or "Peach" (thus "Purple-Cameo"), and thus crossover occurred.

Getting back to my original question, has anyone produced a bird with any other double-color combinations? Because crossover would not be necessary for a "Purple Midnight", I would think it would be much more easily produced.

Thank you for your reply.

~Christopher Gordon

Back
Top Bottom