Combining feeds to increase protein

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
As of the start of the new year, my girls have been picking up the pace and laying reliably. I'm getting 4-5 eggs a day from about 8-10 active layers (a few unknown. They laid last year but have not done so yet as of 2019).
Conveniently or not, they finished the last of their layer feed today as well. I'd been experiencing thinness in my flock this winter and decided I wasn't satisfied with a 16% protein level anymore. My girls were not in great condition and I wanted to change that. At the store I went looking for an 18% layer feed as I'd bought some before so I knew it existed. But they didn't have any. 16% was what they had for layers, 18% on average for chicks and feather fixer, 22% for meat birds and a ghastly low of 15% on a bag of grower/finisher.
But, there was a bag of meat bird feed that was discounted at $11.42 because a corner was broken and taped. Clearance. And the layer feed was $16+ or -. So I got both a bag of Purina Omega-3 layer pellets and a bag of 22% Dumor brand meat bird crumbles.
I didn't want to feed as high as 22% to my girls so I am going to mix the feeds together at a ratio of 1:1 in hopes that the protein will get to about 19% give or take. I didn't do any math to calculate this.

I'll let y'all know if I see any changes in my flock. If anyone has anything to add to this, feel free. I'll tag @Texas Kiki as well since I know she's into nutrition.

Cyprus

I never fed my chickens layer feed. I have always fed chick starter at 21% protein and transition to a mix with a percentage of our own grain. I just finished the high protein #1 wheat we grew 2 years ago.

Until this year I've always had chicks starting throughout the year and keeping the base food a chick starter seemed to be the wisest choice in my case. The bird's feather quickly after molt, they don't eat feathers and they don't pick each other (although I attribute that to the raw eggs I feed back to them) They also are a healthy weight. Having oyster shell and grit set out separately for my hens has worked very well so far.

In your case, I'd set out an additional source of calcium for your hens. They may not get the amount of calcium they need for egg production with the layer feed diluted with the other feed.

Sounds good. The only thing is one is mini pellets and the other is crumbles. If you wet or ferment then not a problem.
Hopefully the mini pellets with the crumbles are similar enough.
19% Protein is correct and a good Protein level. I like a feed with 18 to 20% and so do my Pullets and Hens. GC
ETA; Definitely offer Oyster Shells separately for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom