Combs and chick identification

Shawnee Moon

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I came home with 14 chickens. It was originally three breeds, but I can tell it's a mixed flock, which is great!

Four of the chicks are supposed to be Silver Laced Wyandottes. I was observing the chicks today as I am trying to tell them apart for naming purposes. Two of the SLW have white tufting and other white feathers on their heads, two don't. The two with are larger and have a wide comb coming in. The smaller black and white chicks that I thought were SLW have what appears to be a single comb coming in. They look different from the front. They're all four black and white, white chests, mainly black bodies.

All the chicks are supposed to be brown egg layers. I am wondering if they might Barred Rock chicks. Maybe Easter Eggers? Sex link?

Meanwhile, my other mystery solid black chick remains really tiny...

I came home with 14 chickens. It was originally three breeds, but I can tell it's a mixed flock, which is great!

Four of the chicks are supposed to be Silver Laced Wyandottes. I was observing the chicks today as I am trying to tell them apart for naming purposes. Two of the SLW have white tufting and other white feathers on their heads, two don't. The two with are larger and have a wide comb coming in. The smaller black and white chicks that I thought were SLW have what appears to be a single comb coming in. They look different from the front. They're all four black and white, white chests, mainly black bodies.

All the chicks are supposed to be brown egg layers. I am wondering if they might Barred Rock chicks. Maybe Easter Eggers? Sex link?

Meanwhile, my other mystery solid black chick remains really tiny...
From the way you described the unknown chicks, I'd guess Black Australorp (most likely the latter, but another possibility is Black Java). Barred Rocks are dark grey chicks with a white spot on their head (larger on males, smaller on females). Female Black Sex-Link chicks are solid black, and males have a white chest.

I have two australorps. Solid black except for a little white on the wings.

The two chicks have light legs, two have dark. The rose comb ones have more white, but black legs... It's confusing.

I still don't know what the brown chick is. She's much darker than the buffs and has black on her wings.

I have two australorps. Solid black except for a little white on the wings.

The two chicks have light legs, two have dark. The rose comb ones have more white, but black legs... It's confusing.

I still don't know what the brown chick is. She's much darker than the buffs and has black on her wings.
You sure about that? Australorps are supposed to have a lot of white.

chicks_australorp1.jpg

Nope. I got my chicks from a vat at a feed store. I'm suspecting that I have 2 silver laced Wyandottes, 2 Australorps and perhaps 2 sex link blacks. And one solid black tiny one, maybe Japanese bantam or other bantam. I have no idea!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom