Combs and hot AND cold breeds

Brabra

Songster
Nov 29, 2022
After a very brutal cold streak with some frostbite on my 2 roosters. Which breeds of chickens have small single comb. I was just looking at anyone with a small comb for the future but saw that orpingtons which are cold hardy have single combs but are smaller, has anyone had an Orpington roosters comb get frost bite?

I was also trying to figure out if there is a unicorn chicken (one who has it all) good for meat, small comb but not heavily feathered so it won’t roast in tn’s hot and humid

After a very brutal cold streak with some frostbite on my 2 roosters. Which breeds of chickens have small single comb. I was just looking at anyone with a small comb for the future but saw that orpingtons which are cold hardy have single combs but are smaller, has anyone had an Orpington roosters comb get frost bite?

I was also trying to figure out if there is a unicorn chicken (one who has it all) good for meat, small comb but not heavily feathered so it won’t roast in tn’s hot and humid
My original Buff Orpington rooster did get frost bite. I no longer have him.

Not all Orps have small combs.

IMG_6893.jpeg
IMG_5089.jpeg
IMG_2806.jpeg
IMG_2805.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg

Yes our Orpington had some bad frostbite. (No longer with us).

Our two Easter Eggers are very large but have small pea combs, and have had zero issues with frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom