Combs and hot AND cold breeds

Some coloration changes to the face, comb, & wattles probably. Instead being bright red, probably lighten to a pink since lighter colors cool. It would make sense for this function to happen with as vascular the comb, & wattles are.

Just a theory, on what it may look like.

Good point. I guess my only question with that is, what is the cutoff point? How gradual should the shift in comb colour be, and if so, at what temperature should we notice each change? Of course there are a lot more variables to this, but those are my main questions per se

Our buff orpington girl got some mild frost bite this year. So I can only imagine if our roo was a orpington. However! Because we knew the risk of frostbite we chose Easter egger rooster. So far hes a decent rooster personality wise and no sign of frost bite. We also have wyandotte and brahma girls. Not sure how much bigger a males of those breeds get but their holding out well in in the cold compared to our orpingtons and australorps.

Good point. I guess my only question with that is, what is the cutoff point? How gradual should the shift in comb colour be, and if so, at what temperature should we notice each change? Of course there are a lot more variables to this, but those are my main questions per se
Some experiments will be needed to test the theory about comb, & heat regulation, which would need patience, & lots of watching.
The lightening of the face would be due to less blood circulating.

Not necessarily. They still look out for potential threats while cooling down. Multitask. My hens are also always on alert for danger.

I'll record their behavior during the summer while it's hot out.

I see. My experience has not been the same. When it gets 38-46°C the girls have no interest in doing anything. They spend the day in the tall weeds, or under trees with weeds around, anywhere they can get out of the sun. The only way to spot the group is to find the boy. He is still moving around, getting the girls (who barely want to move) to nest sites, and back, sometimes standing in the heat while the girls are done laying. The pea comb boy has the same attitude as the girls in these kinds of temperatures

I see. My experience has not been the same. When it gets 38-46°C the girls have no interest in doing anything. They spend the day in the tall weeds, or under trees with weeds around, anywhere they can get out of the sun. The only way to spot the group is to find the boy. He is still moving around, getting the girls (who barely want to move) to nest sites, and back, sometimes standing in the heat while the girls are done laying. The pea comb boy has the same attitude as the girls in these kinds of temperatures
We all have different experiences with our birds, though.

Some experiments will be needed to test the theory about comb, & heat regulation, which would need patience, & lots of watching.
The lightening of the face would be due to less blood circulating.

Agreed. I do notice a difference in comb colour in my birds during the cool seasons, but I suspect we will need something more specific, and smaller time periods than this

Agreed. I do notice a difference in comb colour in my birds during the cool seasons, but I suspect we will need something more specific, and smaller time periods than this
Yeah I noticed this too, especially when less hormones are flowing in the winter. Like hens stopped, or laying less frequently.

Yeah I noticed this too, especially when less hormones are flowing in the winter. Like hens stopped, or laying less frequently.

Yup, exactly. I could've sworn I've seen much lighter colours on my straight combed birds when the day is rainy, but I have no photographic material of that, so that doesn't say much

Back
Top Bottom