Commercial Feed vs. Homemade Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That’s degrading. Because I’m disabled I must have all the time in the world? Perhaps I can’t afford them? Really?? I was disabled when I had sixty chickens. The only difference is that I didn’t use a cane. I use one now. I know what caring for chickens entail. Being disabled doesn’t mean that I can’t handle caring for them or having them. That’s ridiculous and insulting. Being disabled also doesn’t mean I sit on my duff all day either. I take care of my one year old granddaughter. I’ve babysat her since she was eight weeks old. DISABLED. If I can care for an actual human being, I’m sure six chickens will be fine in my care. And I have a dog that has lived in my disabled care for three years. Like really??
Noticed I didn’t say I was unprepared for them? I am waiting till next year to get them so I have everything set up for them. Disabled doesn’t mean lazy. It doesn’t mean incapable. I was just explaining my circumstances so anyone reading this doesn’t think I can do physically what I can’t. But if I can lift 40 lb bags of soil for my gardens, I’m sure I can handle this. I’m absolutely disgusted by your comment.
Woah there, I think you've completely misconstrued what I said and meant. I was referring to whether you are able to lift more heavy sacks than just one bag of commercial feed, as buying separate sacks and mixing your own feed might mean more heavy lifting for you, and you may need to factor that in. I do not know your disability but presume it is physical and relevant since you mentioned it. If you can lift 40lb bags of soil, then you can do more than I can!

And as for time you have available, I was asking IF you have all the extra time it takes to buy, sort, mix, ferment feed, not saying you are lazy or have too much time. Looking after grandchildren is very time consuming (and exhausting, believe me I know).

You have put lots of words and intent into my post that just weren't there. I meant no offence at all. Perhaps my British turn of phrase got misunderstood?

I hope you can dial back your disgust and read my post in the way that I intended, which was only to be helpful.

I won't give you any more advice, but I wish you and your future chickens well. If you can manage to make it work financially and practically, then I'm sure they will give you and your grandchild hours of joy in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom