Comparing quail sizes

One other thing worth mentioning is I finally have one JMF hen laying, I have gotten 5 eggs in the last 8 days or so. There is also some crowing from the boys. At eight weeks old I would expect more hens to be laying anytime. I have free choice oystershell available but have everyone still on startena instead of layena so far.

At what age are others seeing laying start? I'm used to my standards starting at 6-7 weeks.

Last edited:
cb4474e46c0265d118a52fb11a9a280f.jpg

9786e199f2902d0dd1e76bf12ff30725.jpg

Had some inquiries about my cage setup. Here is one set of breeder cages. Is a converted set of rabbit cages. I have a second set of stacked cages as well as one large grow pen and a couple smaller cages inside for brooders.

Excited to see more tracking & comparing quail growth rates.

I've been tracking my last couple of quail hatches. My current chicks are now 4-1/2 weeks old. I am looking forward to their 5 week weigh-in. One of my roos was over 220 grams at 4 weeks. I had banded the 8 largest chicks at a few days old & have weighed them weekly plus random weights from the rest of the hatch.

My JMF eggs are being shipped this week! Looking forward to tracking their growth!

Excited to see more tracking & comparing quail growth rates.

I've been tracking my last couple of quail hatches. My current chicks are now 4-1/2 weeks old. I am looking forward to their 5 week weigh-in. One of my roos was over 220 grams at 4 weeks. I had banded the 8 largest chicks at a few days old & have weighed them weekly plus random weights from the rest of the hatch.

My JMF eggs are being shipped this week! Looking forward to tracking their growth!

Would love to see some of your weight comparisons. Seeing the largest weight is good but for me personally with meat birds I like to know the average as well. I think the median would actually be the best single number to have but I don't have a spreadsheet and am too lazy to do that by hand, lol.

I have my standard brown week five weights done. I didn't get a week four comparisons because I was laying sod last week.

JMF 5 wk hen range (179-236) average: 201.3 gram
JMF 5 wk roo range (185-223) average: 201.5 gram

CL 5 wk hen range (199-246) average: 226.6 gram
CL 5 wk roo range (199-270) average: 224 gram

SB 5 wk hen range (190-215) average: 202.5
SB 5 wk roo range (175-209) average: 185.4

I love the weight comparisons. How similar do they look in regards to color?

All my birds are brown pharaoh in color. So far the feather quality seems similar across the board. I do a weekly inspection of feet and feathers on all birds. I've only had to cull one JMF bird due to feet deformity, she was born with crooked feet but did make it to seven weeks okay and was actually my heaviest hen when I did cull her.

Back
Top Bottom