Comparing quail sizes

Today I processed the six week old F1 birds. I ended up butchering 56 quail and kept the largest 9. Out of the 56 quail I got over 18 pounds of meat for the table and almost 10 pounds of offal for dog food.

JMF 6 wk hen range (190-255) average: 218.6 gram
JMF 6 wk roo range (197-246) average: 220.2 gram

CL 6 week hen range (216-296) average: 256.3 gram
CL 6 week roo range (213-292) average: 245.6 gram

F1 six week range (201- 318) average: 254 gram

This makes the average wt at six weeks 9 ounces. I kept the largest 7 females and 2 males, all of whom are 10ounces or larger. I have decided to keep one pen of these F1 birds just to see how they finish out even not knowing which line they came from. I hope to also keep separate F1 groups from each of the two lines and compare the 'mutts' to the 'pures'.
Nice six week 9 ounce average ! In my breeding program I also strive for a 280 gram (10 ounce) bird at 6 weeks (42 days) for my breeder keepers. The ones that don't make the 280g cut are butchered. Again nice job with your project ! Looking forward to your comparison of the two lines !

I finally got around to doing another weigh in of my JMF and CL breeder pens. Due to some culling and a couple losses to predators I have 11 hens and two roos left from each line, so 26 birds spread out between four pens. I also have a spare roo and hen in a hospital pen from the CL line. These girls are consistently laying an egg every day, nice large eggs 14-16 grams. I did weigh ins in the evening after all the hens had layed their eggs for the day. These breeders are all kept outside in pens that are covered but not heated and we have been having some pretty cold weather this year. All of these birds are 5-6 months old.

JMF hens range (280-361g) average: 313.9g 11.2 oz
JMF roo range (287-288g) average: 287.5g 10.2 oz

CL hen range (280-308g) average: 290g 10.3 oz
CL roo range (276-315g) average: 295g 10.5 oz

This means the birds only gained on average 10 grams from their nine week average to their six month average.

Last edited:
I finally got around to doing another weigh in of my JMF and CL breeder pens. Due to some culling and a couple losses to predators I have 11 hens and two roos left from each line, so 26 birds spread out between four pens. I also have a spare roo and hen in a hospital pen from the CL line. These girls are consistently laying an egg every day, nice large eggs 14-16 grams. I did weigh ins in the evening after all the hens had layed their eggs for the day. These breeders are all kept outside in pens that are covered but not heated and we have been having some pretty cold weather this year. All of these birds are 5-6 months old.

JMF hens range (280-361g) average: 313.9g 11.2 oz
JMF roo range (287-288g) average: 287.5g 10.2 oz

CL hen range (280-308g) average: 290g 10.3 oz
CL roo range (276-315g) average: 295g 10.5 oz

This means the birds only gained on average 10 grams from their nine week average to their six month average.
While your looking at weight for meat , How are the Legs on both lines . i had some what one called Jumbos not even close to what i have now at 5 weeks with bad legs too thin not even capable of supporting the birds . these where local bred not the lines you are compairing ,

That said and asked My JMF birds have very good boning and wonderful structure already
need more hens so hoping to get some more browns out of the 50 left i have 23 hens and 27 roos

times coming up fast to look at my keepers for eggs and meat .

My New Batch has had some issues not anything JFM or i could help my blind kitten crawled in with them and snuggled the babies .
when i seen it i was sure many had died but Nope . he was just laying in with them LOL and couldnt get out

So far no major problems with legs or feet. I inspect feet at least weekly because they are on wire and no signs of bumble foot or sores. When first born the JMF chicks had a few culled early for spraddle leg and one with crooked toes, CL line was better on that. I also had to replace my largest JMF male because he developed a cross beak at around 10 weeks.

Glad to hear your crew is doing well, sounds like they are getting close to make some weight cuts for your breeders.

Reeds Girl i did 3 of the lesser boys today and when i reached for them I am holding 5 of the best boys back I found 2 eggs from the girls . just 5.5 weeks old

Dinner tonight is Bacon wrapped Quail Stuffed with apple , Scalloped Potatoes , salad and a Glass of home made currant wine thanks to my little Brother for the wine .
i was excited to see the Nice meat to bone ratio on my JMF quail so much more then the Alleged Jumbos from the local guy that was a total waste of time and money .

so my ratio now is 10 girls 5 boys waiting to see the best out of the 5 i held back great boning on all of them with nice strong legs .

anyone wanna trade some recipes ?

I've only dispatched once since I started my quail. Because my cages are outside I didn't want to put young birds out in the cold, so I thought I would wait until the spring for my 2nd batch. But the first batch I dispatched I stuffed with cream cheese and jalapenos and wrapped in bacon, then cooked on the grill. My family LOVED it. They asked me to make it for Christmas... I had to disappoint them and tell them they would have to wait until after the spring. I got my eggs from JMF also. They are wonderful little birds. And they started laying at 5 weeks too. I keep a light on them until around 11 pm, and they still give me lots of eggs. I have 15 hens, and they average 14 eggs a day.

That is so True I have Hatched my second Batch from them all White with the black dot on their heads . Hot to watch these because i put them out in the Green house with the bigger birds and all get along fine was a surprise , the 2 i have that are laying from the first batch are at a LB learning now how to do ounces on my scale LOL .

But i am gonna take my best boy and give him 5 of my best girls i cant get my hands wrapped around him and i mean both hands same time hes a big guy and 2 hens are as well so i think definatly the trio for my meat pen making. hatching their eggs ,

Missing Robby tried to call but then my phone went down with snow storm .

Stuffed with cream cheese and Jalapenos ? Sounds good i want a recipe for jumbalia OMG to die for

If you find your jambalaya recipe make sure you post it! I love jambalaya as it is. I couldn't imagine one that calls for quail.

Yupp there is one but i need to get it from Robby from James Marie farms LOL
I love it too will be checking it out and getting all the right spices .

Tried Quail and stuffed with pineapple and ham last night . Licking lips

My cats have really enjoyed them too Need to order more eggs or i think i was told he had live chicks too will be checking into that as well,

So far the quail have been Gentile and sweet when i was gone for 3 days mark put the 4 wek old babies in with the 8 week old babies and OMG i was sure when he told me all where dead

My last Quail here mean not as gentile and or sweet . one female hated males and blinded them all these gals and guys are like hey come on in . totally different then what i got local here and talk about eggs I been wondering when i got cornish
hens these are huge

Back
Top Bottom