Compatible breeds ? PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toddy111

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Manchester, England, UK
Hi, I would like to know if all breeds of hen are compatible with eachother? Are there any notorious "enemies"? I would paticulally like to know if "Light sussex" and "warrens" would be OK together. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks in advance !!!

Last edited:
Hey I saw Manchester England on TV tonight !!!! Looked cool !!

Anyway, sorry to get off track.... Most standards breeds will be fine with other standard breeds. All chickens when first put together will have to figure out there pecking order.

The "Warren" is a Sex-link in the UK as best as I understand.

The Sussex seems to me to be such a laid-back type that I would be surprised if it causes any real problems in the hen yard. But, my brother was the guy with the Sussex, not me. Surely it is quite a bit larger than the Warrens.

Steve
idunno.gif

Some of the dopier breeds like the Polish seem to do better on their own or with really chill birds.
Little banties can be firecrackers and hold their own against big hens or they might get beaten.
Somebody will always be on the bottom no matter what kind of hens you have.

I think it depends more on how they're handled than the breed for the most part. I had some lady tell me she would never again raise Orps because they were too mean. My Orps have never given me a bit of trouble-they're certainly not afraid of anything but mean? Never. Keep 'em happy, feed them well, give them plenty of room and nice nesting boxes and they have no reason to fight.

I have warrens too and they are fairly accepting of new additions once they have established their pecking order. Just make sure you introduce more than one so they have safety in numbers and remember to quarantine first.

Back
Top Bottom