tymimo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone,
I'm getting ready to get our first batch of chicks in a few weeks. Based on what will be available on the date that I want to pick up the chicks I am thinking of getting one each of the following:
Black Australorp
Speckled Sussex
Black Sex Link
Ameraucana

Are these compatible breeds? I noticed that the Australorp is listed as a large bird (7-8) while the others are listed as medium. Is this an issue? We have two boys age 5 and 2 so are starting with chicks for the experience and also so the birds are comfortable with the kids.

Also available are Dominique, Cuckoo Maran

Egg production is not the most important factor. I would like 4 distinguishable birds so that the boys can keep them straight (they have already picked out names).

Any other advice for raising chicks with kids would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced,
(Wasn't sure if this should go in the Breeds forum or here. Apologies if I misposted)

In my experience, chicks raised together--regardless of breed--will get along fine. I raised full-sized chickens with bantams and they were all best friends.

As far as breeds that are good with kids, the first batch of chickens we ever got was when my two were quite young (they're 9 and 12 now, so I guess they must have been 3 and 6). We got Barred Plymouth Rocks and Golden Comets and the kids gave them the greatest names! My son (the 3 year old) named one of the Rocks "Horse Shoe". LOL! The chicks all did very well with the kids and vice versa. And as full-grown hens, the Golden Comets were easier to catch, but really, the Rocks were fine in their mild skittishness. They laid reliably and kept us in eggs for several years.

As their laying declined, we decided to cull them to save money on feed over the wintertime and get new chicks in the spring. Our next batch of chicks were Easter Eggers, Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantams, and Golden Sebright bantams. We kept a cockerel and two pullets from each breed of bantams and gave the rest away, and kept 6 of the EE's. The Easter Eggers were incredibly sweet, but not especially hardy (they tended to die for no reason in the wintertime) and laid eggs fine, but not as reliably as the Rocks and Comets. The bantam hens laid pretty well, too, and the eggs were so cute! Very tasty, too. The Mille Fleur trio were the sweetest, loveliest chickens we have ever had! Sadly, ravens find them easy targets and so we are down to just the cock. Next month we have more on the way. The Golden Sebright hens are mildly skittish but also super-sweet. The cock, on the other hand, went bye bye because he was vicious. We lost one of our Sebright girls to that blasted raven a few days ago, so now we're down to just the one girl and our Mille Fleur boy. =(

Last year we got Cuckoo Marans pullets (there's always an 's' on Marans because it's a the name of a place in France) and Silver Gray Dorking pullets and cockerels. The Marans girls are a bit skittish, but nice. They lay very well. The Dorkings are my new project: improving and conserving the breed, which is critically endangered. The girls lay... not bad. I'm not going to breed for an increase in their laying because they are a duel purpose breed and my opinion is that what I'm getting is just fine for their purpose. The hens are lovely, sweet girls and my 4 cock birds are great with humans. No attacking has happened yet towards the kids, my husband, or me, although they fight amongst themselves occasionally and so are often scabby with pink hackle feathers (which should be white. LOL).

So there's my run-down in novel form! LOL Have fun with your sons and their new flock of chickens!

Hi everyone,
I'm getting ready to get our first batch of chicks in a few weeks. Based on what will be available on the date that I want to pick up the chicks I am thinking of getting one each of the following:
Black Australorp
Speckled Sussex
Black Sex Link
Ameraucana

Are these compatible breeds? I noticed that the Australorp is listed as a large bird (7-8) while the others are listed as medium. Is this an issue? We have two boys age 5 and 2 so are starting with chicks for the experience and also so the birds are comfortable with the kids.

Also available are Dominique, Cuckoo Maran

Egg production is not the most important factor. I would like 4 distinguishable birds so that the boys can keep them straight (they have already picked out names).

Any other advice for raising chicks with kids would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced,
(Wasn't sure if this should go in the Breeds forum or here. Apologies if I misposted)

Hi:

I am a newbie so, I'll give you my two cents of how I made my selection(s), you know what free advice is worth.....

1. I needed birds that would be cold hardy.
2. I wanted birds that would be happy being confined
3. I wanted birds that are known to be 'people' oriented (I think any chick can be friendly or not; but some are known to be more social)
4. I wanted to have a good bird color mix, Eggs production was not a primary concern...but I figured 3-4/week would be more than good

I got x2 BO (they are very inquisitive and friendly....they hop up on my hand and sit on my shoulder
I got x2 GLWs (they are a bit more standoff-ish, but don't get agitated when I clean the brooder)
I got x2 SG Dorkings (they are very friendly and passive, they hop onto my hand then settle in to relax).

Hope this helps....

I currently have 8 different breeds of chickens living in my coop. They co-exist peacefully for the most part. Sometimes my silkies get picked on ( but only because they are always going broody and won't get out of the nest boxes so the other hens can lay eggs). The hens will then pick at the silkies until they either get out or move over. The biggest surprise I had was when I saw my tiny modern game roo fighting with my huge, docile lavender orpington roo. I did have to seperapte those two. If you are just getting hens, they should get together fine...but remember that there will always be a "boss"hen and one will always be the underdog. Good luck!

I've raised many different breeds ( all standard size - no bantams ) - many raised together since they were chicks and others added as nearly POL pullets and have never had any problems after the initial 'normal' initiation of the newbies into the established pecking order of the flock. I always add new birds in pairs or multiples of two so one won't be singled out and picked on.

JMHO here but having had many breeds Black Australorps are my all around number one favorite for calm and 'almost human friendly' dispositons,
huge brown eggs, gorgeous fluffy black feathering with dark beetle green highlights in sunlight - not flighty - most beautiful of the pullet / hen faces of
all the breeds I've had.

If you can get a Buff Orpington I would suggest one of those as they are the friendliest and most - 'kid and family friendly' birds I'm aware of.

Good luck with your birds. Please don't be too shocked - and you need to warn the kids about his as well so they won't be disappointed - if the
birds don't grow up to be cuddly and want to be held and have lots of human contact. I give my birds lots of TLC as well as premium food and
lots of organic fruit, snacks, alfalfa, etc. and have raised 95 percent of them from day old chicks and NONE of them want to be petted, held, etc.

When I do set my folding chair up in their coop and run they love to come over and 'greet' and examine me - often brushing against my legs and
trying to untie my shoes, gently peck at me, etc. The ONLY time they run up to me joyfully is when they see that I'm carrying bags full of treats
which they promptly attempt to grab ( the whole bag ) right out of my hand.

JMHO - if a family wants 'cuddly pets that appreciate being hugged and loved on' puppies and/or kittens may be best. If a family wants lots of great healthy eggs and endless hours of some of the best laughs and entertainment that can be had anywhere - then chickens may be for you!

Also, be aware with small children, that chickens CONSTANTLY PECK AT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING AND SOMETIMES THEY PECK HARD so don't let little faces get too close to the chickens as they get older.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm in an urban area so it's going to be strictly hens for us. The feed store where I'm planning to get the chicks won't have BOs on the day I plan to pick up so unfortunately that won't be an option. Right now I'm just trying to set the expectation that the boys can't pick up the chicks for the first few days. We'll just see how affectionate the chickens grow up to be.

Right now the plan is to get the chicks on the Friday before the boy's spring break in three weeks so we will be able to spend the first 10 days caring for/monitoring the chicks. That will also put me under the gun to finish the coop/run.

Hopefully we'll raise chickens that are open to be picked up and held occasionally. Personally I have chosen chickens over cats/dogs because I'd like our boys to understand that eggs (and chicken meat) doesn't just come from the store and for the ability to divert food scraps from the yard waste. That and I hated walking the dog two times a day as a kid.

In the meantime, preparations continue. I just picked up an aquarium at the thrift store to start raising some meal worms.

My daughter (5) is a PRO when it comes to handling our entire flock of 12 birds, some roos and most hens. She has no fear except with open toe'd shoes. She has to chase them a bit but she always gets her way and when caught they really don't resist much. She has been handling them daily since they were chicks. The funniest thing I learned is that they are pretty docile when held like a baby - seriously they don't fight to turn over! Before her, I never knew that. Excuse her attire, it was a hot day.
18623596_10155348164236810_7123383189116585021_o.jpg

Fond memories. Had a hard time keeping our girls in clothes too. Silly, little ones. Thanks for the grin and cute little girl. Our baby is 19 and 1/2. My, how time flies when you are dazed and confused.

Back
Top Bottom