Completly lost 2

The first 17 days. Raising the humidity at lockdown doesn't compromise the progress of hatching, but you really don't want to see condensation either. Did you monitor the air cells at all during incubation?

I used an old LG 9200 for 2 1/2 years. It was work, but it did good by me. Just got the Hovabator 1583. I love it.
The Hovabator that was gave to us is a 6200N I think. I do like that it is easier to ajust the temp with it . Yes they are work. But if it works why change

The Hovabator that was gave to us is a 6200N I think. I do like that it is easier to ajust the temp with it . Yes they are work. But if it works why change

1602N. I know quite a few that have used that bator.
My "borrowed" LG's heating element was going, and I wanted the picture window and more stability of the Hovabator. The LG kept me up at night checking temps. With this thing I sleep like a baby. It's so nice to have a bator that holds a steady temp.

1602N. I know quite a few that have used that bator.
My "borrowed" LG's heating element was going, and I wanted the picture window and more stability of the Hovabator. The LG kept me up at night checking temps. With this thing I sleep like a baby. It's so nice to have a bator that holds a steady temp.
My LG is pretty steady I read on here several years ago to put some well sterlized smooth stones in bottom of bator. And that helps stablize temps. I will have to check your Hovator out .

My LG is pretty steady I read on here several years ago to put some well sterlized smooth stones in bottom of bator. And that helps stablize temps. I will have to check your Hovator out .

Yes, heat sinks can help with temps. Mine usually settled around 100-101, and I left it even though it had a fan, cause that knob was touchy..lol, but it would creep up, especially if I wasn't running dry but my water was drying up. And just the fact it was known for spikes kept me on edge...lol

Humidity, usually high, is one of the most common reasons for hatch time deaths. High humidity doesn't let the eggs loose enough moisture. At hatch they often drown because they can't pip into a too small air cell, they pip into the air cell but excess fluid also seeps into the internal pip causing them to aspirated on it, or they become too big/bloated and can not turn at the proper time and end up malpositioned come time to hatch.
On the flip side of high humidity, too low humidity can cause the air cell to grow too much too fast and can shrink wrap the chick making it impossible to pip and suffocating them or they manage to internally pip but can not move to make further progress.
Hi AmyLynn, Thanks for all your expertise on here! I have a question for you as a first-time hatcher. How do I know if my humidity is too high for those first 17 days? I have seen lots of recommended numbers, but they are from all across the country, where humidity varies greatly. We're in the (very) dry high desert, and I have to put some water in my bator to have any humidity at all. So I'm wondering how to tell from the eggs themselves if I'm getting it right. I have 9 days left, and so far the air cells have been exactly on target with the illustrations in the Hatching 101 thread. Is that the best way to tell? I don't want to overcompensate and have the humidity too high just because I'm afraid of it being too low!

Hi AmyLynn, Thanks for all your expertise on here! I have a question for you as a first-time hatcher. How do I know if my humidity is too high for those first 17 days? I have seen lots of recommended numbers, but they are from all across the country, where humidity varies greatly. We're in the (very) dry high desert, and I have to put some water in my bator to have any humidity at all. So I'm wondering how to tell from the eggs themselves if I'm getting it right. I have 9 days left, and so far the air cells have been exactly on target with the illustrations in the Hatching 101 thread. Is that the best way to tell? I don't want to overcompensate and have the humidity too high just because I'm afraid of it being too low!

Yup. The air cells in my opinion, is the best way to verify how to adjust humidity.

Well rh was pretty low this morning. 22% so i added a little bit of water to one of the wells. Rh is up to 30% but temp is creeping up on me, 102.7°f. Im really thinking about building a cabinet bator with a wafer stat.

I went ahead and candled them tonight. Day 5? Id have to look at the calender..

Anyway out of 58 eggs 5 of them were not fertilized so i removed them. There were also 5 or 6 that were porous and questionable but i decided to let them ride. So im not going to count the 5 sterile eggs in the hatching success ratio. :)

I went ahead and candled them tonight. Day 5? Id have to look at the calender..

Anyway out of 58 eggs 5 of them were not fertilized so i removed them. There were also 5 or 6 that were porous and questionable but i decided to let them ride. So im not going to count the 5 sterile eggs in the hatching success ratio. :)

I don't count clears in my rates either, except fertility rates of course.

Back
Top Bottom