Complicated situation... Hen and rooster situation

SYCABO

Hatching
May 3, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
Hey everyone. My wife and I are needing some help figuring out what to do about the birds we have.

Ok, so due to my wife's excitement.... (Chicken math) we have more birds than I had originally set the coops up for, so we basically have 2 groups, set up side by side.

First group is a young Cochin roo 6 months or so, 2 rir hens, 2 to 3 years old, and a pair of ducks.

Second group is a great Cochin roo and hen, 3 rir hens, 3 leghorns, all about 5-6 months, plus 2 new Cochin hens that are about 3-¹/² to 4 months.

It's kinda complicated explaining how the mix got how they are, so I won't waste anyone's time on that.

The 2 new younger Cochin hens are being bullied by one of the young rir hens. She mostly leaves them be with minor harassment throughout the day, but she has taken it upon herself to be the night watchman, and refuses to let the 2 Cochins in to the coop at night. Part of the reason is that she is the last to go in and jump up to her perch, and misses her chance to do so while there is enough light to see what she is doing. I hold open the flap to their nesting boxes and get a flashlight, she hops up eventually and its a drama free evening. I set the 2 inside, they settle down, and all is well. If I do not, no matter what, if I pick the 2 up and try to set them inside, she goes after them and won't stop til they both run out.

Not interfering was leading to the new ones being "trained" to not use the coop at all. I don't like that.

The other problem I have is the Cochin roo. He is... In short... A jerk. He is probably going to end up in the pot, but I'd much rather find a way to make it work. He has only tried to attack me once. I was wearing rubber boots and barely noticed it happen... I promptly kicked the tar out of him.... He crapped himself and I chased him around the pen for a bit to prove my point and he hasn't tried it on me since. My wife is a different story. He has come at her 4 times now, two of those times were just a quick slash an run but 2 more times, he trapped her inside blocking the exit neck feathers raised up like he thought it was ON. Tonight he did it with me nearby, and I popped him. Several times.

We have been thinking about moving the bully rir hen into the pen with the meaner roo and the 2 mature hens, and tries a real quick trial run this evening where the mean roo went psycho rapist at first sight.

Our other roo was never that way. In fact, when my wife was getting a hold of another hen and accidentally startled her enough, she panicked and the good roo jumped to her aid but immediately calmed when he saw my wife chatting gently with the hen.

So, as chatty as I am, I could have definitely put in more detail, but I think this sums it up for the most part. I know the mean roo doesn't have enough girls, and my wife and I are getting yoyo-ed by my in-laws over the last few months over when they will be giving us their last 2 mature rirs... Was hoping that maybe adding the bully would help him calm down but it went much darker than expected so we put her back in with her old group.

We just are not sure what to do with the bully hen or the mean rooster. I don't want to put either one down, but by my standards, pecking order is fine only if humans are exempt, and it doesn't endanger anyone in the flock.

What would you guys do in a similar situation?

Sent via the internet

"Pecking order is fine only if humans are exempt" - I like that. Around here the first time that rooster went at my wife it would be 'off with his head'. Then I would move the bully hen into the pen with the two mature hens and hopefully they would give her an attitude adjustment. Once the young cochin hens were comfortable in their flock, I might try merging both flocks.

well, ok, for the rooster, read these:

http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/animals/poultry/taming-attack-roosters/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/dealing-with-roosters-roo-behavior

I have found helpful, so have others i have suggested them too. The rooster is actually just being good rooster and trying to show you he's the boss. Well, you just need to show him YOUR the boss, not him. I've only had 1 rooster (a 8 year old who would NOT have anything to do with this) ever not improve when taking these steps...though i must say, you really got a bad deal on the cochin roo. I swear, i have never had an aggressive cochin rooster (i've had over 20) they are alway the sweetest boys ever.

Anyway one the hen, i've never really dealt with that whole keeping the 2 out of the coop. Maybe try moving that hen to the other coop, and see if that works?

I would not put the aggressive rooster in the other coop unless you also move the nice rooster. The boys would fight constantly over such few girls, and could end up killing each other.

I am with Sourland. It seems once a rooster thinks he is top of the pecking order, he does not back down. Note do the attacks stop. It is dangerous to me to allow that to continue. Moving the bossy hen into your older flock of new to her hens should put her in place. Nothing like being bottom of the pecking order to help realize where your place really is.
Genetically I would also not want to pad on that mean rooster's genes.

Back
Top Bottom