Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

Aspirin and yoghurt can be harmful things to add to poisoning and the damage it does unless you know for sure it's successfully used to treat that particular type of toxicity. The calcium in yogurt is important but is better administered minus the proteins and fermentation during this time of impaired liver function. Better than nothing maybe, I don't know for sure, but it's almost always a good idea to fast and purge for poisoning rather than feed. Also, are you sure your turkey's poisoned? Many problems have similar symptoms. I would have purged it with olive oil if I thought it wasn't too serious, followed by charcoal water, but if it was serious I would give charcoal water immediately, and a few times over the next day or three.

I would never eat a poisoned animal, a huge amount of internal damage is also occurring and often kidneys/liver etc can release toxins that were stored when under duress. You can become poisoned by the same poisons the animal was too. Its flesh has just received a huge amount of distress and it's now probably akin to eating a severely injured animal that died slowly, or a drowned one... Not recommendable.

If it's three days in and the animal's still drooling expect brain damage among the other harm that's doubtless been done. though charcoal does not take care of all poisons it would have most likely been a far more effective and safer thing to give the turkey. You should, for your own sake, as well as the sakes of your family and animals, have good charcoal powder or pills or activated carbon on hand at all times.

Best wishes.

Milk thistle is protective and healing to the liver. I always have a jar of the capsules around. I've used it many times on myself, my husband and on pets that were undergoing chemo with drugs that were damaging to the liver. So many drugs are bad for the liver. When I first used it on one of my dogs, the vet was amazed that my dog's liver numbers got better, instead of worse. It can even help with mushroom poisoning, if given right away. I even gave it to one of my sheep, when a cherry tree came down and he was sick from eating some of the bark.

Thanks so much for the help...we'll have to try the charcoal and milk thistle next time(which hopefully there's not!) I like the idea of having them on hand too...the turkey became paralysized the following day, initially we thought he had just hurt his toe, but now I suspect it was Cane Toads! We just had a big storm with standing water in our yard and just yesterday one of the larger baby toadlettes got its spots and I realized what it was! They're EVERYWHERE ...my kids have been loving catching them... anyhoo, we put the turkey down today, just felt sick seeing him so ill! Thank you for you help!

Ah, you're a fellow Aussie then. I've had bufo marinus (cane toad) poisoning as a small kid and recommend you do not let your kids touch them. It did not cause paralysis, however, it damaged my gut and kidneys especially. But I have heard it blamed for paralysis in livestock.

Sorta off-topic, one of my relatives owned a dog (who sadly died in a housefire at about 4-5 years old) and this golden retriever (a desexed female) would wake up in the morning, go find a cane toad, hold it in her mouth till it squirted the toxins into her mouth, then release it, go lay down, and dream trippy dreams. She did that from puppyhood onwards, never seemed to experience ill effects. Also I now see native animals consuming cane toads, some eat only the guts but some eat the whole thing, as a matter of course, so I think the end is nigh for the toads being a pest, because the natives are becoming immune to them.

Overnight if they can reach it cane toads like to soak in the chook's water bowls. They can make the chooks sick that way though any Aussie chooks are also becoming immune and eat the babies. I found a red dragonfly species which feeds only on cane toad tadpoles in its larval stage, I used to breed them. Cane toad tadpoles make the cutest skeletons once that dragonfly nymph is done with them, lol! One will eat at least 50 cane toad bubs.

Cane toads will also vertically jump over a meter high to access water. I used to put my chook's water up on a high table with various heights of stools, crates, chairs, whatever leading up to it, very quickly the babies learnt to get up there, and so did all the others, and that eliminates cane toad problems as well as the whole chooks walking through water bowls rather than around them and messing up the cage floor problems.

Wow!! I didn't know that chooks could be poisoned by them! Good to hear you have some experience with them! I'd LOVE to see Australia one day...we live in Florida ...the little beasts were imported from Australiathe to here to take care of insects that were feeding on sugar cane. We have water nipples from a bucket to keep the buggers out...would you recommend letting the chickens out to free range? I've had them in their eun the last couple days but wondering if I should let them free. Also do you know if the poisoning is reversable after paralysis occurs? I'm hoping some of those red dragonflies move in! All our dogs have gotten at least one but do fine once rinsed out, the turkey wasn't drooling as much as I suspected he would (compared to the dogs) could this be just because he drank from an infected puddle? Thanks again for the help and the great info!!

Quote: LOL, my bad, I didn't know they'd repeated the same epic mistake twice!

They can indeed get sick from drinking puddles cane toads have soaked in, but that's not too common perhaps because they tend to choose their water bowls in my experience.

Not sure why you're caging them at the moment, but if it's just for safety's sake and you're not overrun by predators, I'd let them range. Aussie chooks show a lot of tolerance for paralysis ticks and cane toads, so if American ones aren't there yet they soon should be.

Quote: The red dragonflies would have consumed native species before the cane toads arrived, so once they're all gone (and I think it's now looking quite possible they soon will be) the dragonflies would move onto your native species and possibly be as bad as the cane toads, or worse. Letting the natives become immune over the generations seems to be the best way to take care of cane toads. In some places where they spray bugs to get to the toads, I'll see about two or three dying toads for every five dead sugar gliders. Not a solution.

Regarding recovering from paralysis, I haven't dealt with that but had one of my turkeys go weak legged while being boarded over another person's place, and he blamed cane toads in the water, and put Condees' Crystals in it, which seemed to do the trick. However this guy would also go running out to spray any cane toad he saw with fly spray, so it's entirely possible that was to blame, because they just keep going covered in those nerve toxins. One of the ingredients used in Mortein fly spray is the same as the nerve agents used in mustard gas by Hitler... I'd rather put up with a few flies. It amazes me how people can spray carpets etc with poisons that kill cockroaches rapidly for years after the spray's been laid down, then they think it's fine to let their baby crawl on the same carpet, and wonder why it's got allergies or mysterious issues. Ignorance kills, we're not as tough as cockroaches, lol. Not really lol, it's tragic.

Fantastic information! Thank you so very much! We have Australian Pines taking over sown here too that they're trying to irradicate, seems any un-native species is a bad idea! Glad to hear too that the 'chooks'(love that word btw) may become immune ovee time, ironically they're drinking out of the puddles and haven't had problems...maybe they just know better, the turkey was definately more aloof than the chickens! I'll have to do some research on Condees Crystals...never heard of it before! Do you have to make sure they get thar right away...I'm assuming the sooner the better. Thanks again!!!

The turkey the man treated had been showing weak legged sorta symptoms for at least a day before he treated her. I don't know almost anything about it so just did a little search and came up with some bits of info:

1: Quote: (from wikipedia, lol, I know...)
As an oxidant, potassium permanganate can act as an antiseptic. For example, dilute solutions are used to treat canker sores (ulcers), disinfectant for the hands and treatment for mild pompholyx, dermatitis,[18][19] and fungal infections of the hands or feet.[20] Potassium permanganate is used extensively in the water treatment industry. It is used as a regeneration chemical to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from well water via a "Manganese Greensand" Filter. "Pot-Perm" is also obtainable at pool supply stores, is used additionally to treat waste water. Historically it was used to disinfect drinking water.[21][22] It currently finds application in the control of nuisance organisms such as Zebra mussels in fresh water collection and treatment systems.[23]
2: Some say its use in Australia was restricted after 9/11 due to its potential usage in bomb making. EDIT: they must be wrong because I just found it on several sites for use with horses, puppies, and other pets and livestock.

3: There is a lot of conflicting advice and facts offered both for and against it (just like there is for basically every single thing on the face of the earth and beyond...) It is used in many things including photography. But here's some info against it:
Quote: However some people do continually serve it to their poultry and have done for decades, and have what could be termed healthy chooks despite it. A rule of thumb is that if it makes the water purple rather than slightly pink, you're likely to harm them instead of help.

Personally I would stick to apple cider vinegar and more natural things for the purposes of disinfecting water.

Last edited:
Thanks! I do use ACV in their water...I'm afraid I'd het the wrong shade of pink;) Thanks for the feedback!

A family member of mine. (Not me) was tossing his marijuana seeds to his rooster and they killed him. :( poor roo. In his defense he didn't think was hurting it and it cost him a fortune in vet bills trying to save it. (His only single pet Roo) can't imagine how embarrassing trying to explained that to your vet would be. Lesson learned I guess.

Back
Top Bottom