Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

Just marking for future reference.
goodpost.gif
And glad I read it before I planted some shade bushes around the coop. I was about to surround them with poisonous plants!

As others have pointed out, this list is quite misleading though some of them are definitely toxic and others are to be eaten only in one part or at a certain time. But many are in fact good, some great. I think great harm often occurs when pesticide-sprayed or genetically modified versions of the same plants are eaten, which is far more common than many think or is reasonable. Most of the ones I've annotated are fine and safe for poultry too but it was simpler to write a general livestock/human guide.

A lot of these are common names rather than the proper botanical names, and the use of common names without their correct name being provided also leads to fatal mistakes as common names often cover many related or unrelated species. Another thing to watch out for are cultivars and hybrids of what were once safe species. The majority of the plants I have annotated here are used for many animals and humans. There is much more information on some I've missed out, including those known to be toxic which yet have medicinal properties if used correctly, but I haven't got the sources on hand so missed them out. As always, it's good if people do their own research, of course. Some of the plants listed are 'new' to botanical science and have no long history of usage available to us (because of the decimation of the Koori and Murri) so will have to wear their 'dangerous' tag until more research is done.
Quote:

Now THAT'S a long post! Gah. Took me AGES. I hope it's of use to someone and their animals!

The misinformation I posted in correction of was likely to lead to people and their animals missing out on some of the most healthy plants out there. I know whoever made the original list was well intentioned; but a lot of that was grey facts or complete misinformation.

Back in the wild-west unregulated days of early pharmaceuticals, when almost anyone could make a drug and sell it, less scrupulous scientists were being hired by less scrupulous pharmaceutical companies to make studies proving what they wanted rather than finding the truth. They would test herbal cures by overfeeding an animal on a healthy plant, and nothing else, until it died. Therefore they could recommend a new drug instead. Nothing is healthy in overdose: not air, not water, not food of any kind.

These studies led to a lot of people abandoning the remedies their ancestors had used for centuries with great success, and taking on man-made drugs instead to do the same thing, or so they promised. (They have largely failed). It was all just a commercial powergrab which people are thankfully now waking up to the fallacious reality of. A lot of those so-called facts are 'junk science'. I urge people to do their own research but also to try the safe remedies; I have used them for years and never had a failure. I was a skeptic, but the proof is astounding.

Best wishes.

Quote: Noooooooooooo! I just spent so long correcting the last list of misinformation mixed with fact! Now another... And it's huge! Argh!

Thanks for the link, it will help some people, as some of those plants are definitely poisonous, however many of them are harmless, and many others are very important herbs! Plenty don't even have any effects or toxic properties listed yet they're condemned as toxic/poisonous!

A lot of this is due to biased, outdated junk science... Some of the plants listed in that list are life saving. 'Diarrhoea' as listed as caused by some others, as the sole 'strike' against the plant, is never of the life threatening sort, just an initial 'flush/purge' which is vital to saving many lives as it shifts all manner of nasty infectious or toxic or parasitical burdens that will otherwise kill. Even modern doctors are returning to herbs and natural medicines because science is only managing to prove their efficiency and our inability to thrive on most man made alternatives, now that more honest studies have become the norm.

Modern doctors now will tell you hurrying to stop diarrhoea kills many children and adults, because it is the natural way for the body to quickly remove something dangerous, be it virus or poison or whatever. Same for livestock! Diarrhoea is only a problem when it doesn't stop after a length of time relevant to the animal's body size. It is actually a natural and healthy process in some circumstances. Babies in particular die too frequently from overly afraid and under educated parents rushing to use drugs to stop the runs when the runs were the body's attempt to clean itself of a toxin.

I don't think I'm up to spending how long it's gonna take to correct that list for some time to come... Please, people, don't believe it out of hand, please do your research thoroughly, or you'll end up afraid of nothing, repeating false information to others because you never found the truth, losing livestock, pets, and family members because you never tried some lifesavers listed erroneously as 'toxic or poisonous' with the only 'proof' behind it being garbled much repeated excerpts of ancient anecdotes of flawed studies trying to prove drugs are better than what your ancestors used successfully for centuries...

Last edited:
Quote: lol epmchickens, thanks, I was beginning to think I was only succeeding in frightening people away from trying the natural alternatives, with my incredibly long post there. Much easier and quicker to say 'if it's natural, it's toxic!' Can't believe how long it took me getting the right info to annotate that list with. Can't imagine doing the next one... It's huge. Too huge. Someone else's turn! lol.
th.gif

We bought this new anti-itch spray that's amazing. It was a whopping $15 a bottle, and contains "weeds" such as Plantain in it. But it sure works good! You should have seen the look on my dad's face when I got a mosquito bite, took some Plantain, bruised/ground the leaf in my hand, and rubbed it around the bite. It shrunk in size and the itch went away faster than using nothing.

Also took Dandelions from the garden as weeds, but instead of tossing them, we used them like lettuce. A little tart, but not bad. Used the rest in veggie juice, with some apples, strawberries, and a touch of Agave sweetener. Mature Dandelion leaves have a lot of.... flavor. The little ones are more mild.

I actually have a turkey who must have eaten some philodendron and is in horrible pain! I've been giving him baby asprin to help, but can we still eat him if he doesn't heal? We thought about culling him early; not sure how long I want to see him doing poorly...any treatment or thoughts? I've been giving him yogurt to soothe and he's eating well, just not walking and is drooling...be 3 days now :(

Back
Top Bottom