Concerned about button quail babies

strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
Today I bought home four baby button quail. The smallest one is weaker than the others. They are a week old, and the car trip was fairly long so it's possible the little guys are just shaken up. I'll take some pics. They are currently sleeping on a hot water bottle, after some food and water. The smallest one bounces around and is eating and drinking. However he often closes his eyes and rests. Any ideas on what to do to make him stronger? I'm a little concerned

Do you have any electrolytes to add to their water? Adding sugar to the water can help perk them up as well.
When you say 'bouncing around,' I assume you mean he is active and healthy in that area?
I had a baby quail, and he was like that. He would get all excited, then pass out. That was his whole daily routine.

No, we are on alternative power. I have raised ducks with hot water bottles, and have been told that it would work for quails. We have no electroytes, but we do have sugar. The little guy has gottten weaker, to the point where me picking him up prompts no response. He's still squeaking and breathing normally. He's just not opening his eyes or moving...

How hot are those water bottles? Quail need higher temps than ducks usually. (at least in my experience. I had gambel's quail) Hm... What are they being fed?

I put boiling water in them, and then wrap an old shirt over it so the babies won't get scorched. The lady we bought them off said they were used to eating chicken mash, so that's what I'm giving them. The little guy is not looking great, when I pick him up he cheeps (very quietly), he's not flopping his head in the hypoglycemic way. I just woke him up. And he opened his eyes. Breathing is still normal, although he's awfully floppy when I pick him up. Is he just tired? Or could he be sick.

Back
Top Bottom