Concerned About Putting Coop Too Close to Road

bmoggach

Hatching
Jul 8, 2015
Hi there,

First post ever here! Excited to be joining the community. We're currently planning out our coop and where we will put it. The most ideal location (for us) is close to the garden, but that would put the coop close to the road. Is there any reason to be concerned about the road traffic making the chickens skiddish? It isn't a really busy road, but it does get a reasonable amount of traffic. They would be within 50 or 100 ft of the road I would say, but there are two rows of trees between them and the road. Appreciate any help here!

Thanks,
Brad

Welcome! I wouldn't worry about road noise, but if they free range, they will get close to it. If they will be fenced always, it won't be a concern. Mine are more interested in the trees closer to their coop, and don't go 150 ft. or so to the road. Pick breeds that aren't noted to range far; that helps too. Predators will get more than cars! Pictures will help here, and again welcome! Mary

Nah, not a problem.....they get used to loud noises pretty quick.
Mines about the same from a busy 55 mph road with lots of big, heavy trucks.

I remember the first time I ran the mower next to the run this spring around the younger birds,
they freaked out ......had to go slow.
Next time.... they were gathered at the fence waiting for clippings to come their way.

My coop is less than 100ft from a busy road in our neighborhood. Everyone in my area seems to have a ridiculously loud diesel engine and my hens don't mind at all. They really seem to adapt to noise from what I've noticed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Car noise from 100 ft is probably no worse than my neighbor's lawn machines. So I would say it is ok. Free range could be an issue. Mine normally free range within 75ft, but have gone 200 following crushed acorn or earthworms.

Did you make sure it is in a well drained spot.

If they free range, they will get in the road. Maybe not the first day or week, but eventually they will want to know why the chicken crossed the road.

As others have said, noise won't be an issue.

Last edited:
Will try and post some pictures tomorrow. There will be fencing along the road, so I don't see it being a problem. Can I start them in an outdoor run then let them roam free around the property?

Will try and post some pictures tomorrow. There will be fencing along the road, so I don't see it being a problem. Can I start them in an outdoor run then let them roam free around the property?
Good to have a large run covered with mesh at least....then you can keep them safe and still range them as you see fit over time.
Chickens are often a learn as you go thing as every situation is different and can change along the way.

Make sure the birds know the coop as home. This is accomplished by locking them in for a few days.

My coop is 6" from my shop where I run table saws and all sorts of power tools and they don't care unless I'm running the saws after dark then the rooster might crow at me to let me know he's awake and to knock it off. Traffic noise won't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom