Concerned About Rabbit

Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
I’m slight concerned about my rabbit, and I’m not sure if i’m overreacting or not. I’m hoping you guys can help. Here’s what going on:
- Stopped eating today (Went to feed her bok choy and a little bit of parsley) These are normal things offered to her, but she took a few bites and hasn’t touched it since
- Hasn’t pooped
- I cleaned her litter box a few days ago and there’s only a few poops in there. I see her in the litter box often, but the same amount remains in there
- Haven’t seen her drink
- Ate a little bit of hay over the last few days
- Somewhat less active than usual, but not much

I’m fairly new to keeping rabbits, so I’m just not sure what could be going on. Thanks

Pine and cedar are not good for rabbits - the breeder I bought mine from said toxic so I use the paper-ish bedding stuff. The biggest issue with GI stasis is that their GI tract dehydrates and stops. It can happen from her ingesting too much of their own fur - or shavings, or if they don’t get enough grass hay/roughage. Bunnies are delicate creatures.

I suspected GI stasis in one of my guys once and I gave him gasx (the liquigel - broke it open) mixed with pineapple juice in a syringe and let him drink it drop by drop and it worked. The key is to keep them hydrated so things get moving. Do you have a syringe and a drop of fruit juice? I don’t shoot it in their mouth - I’m sure a vet could, but aspiration is terrifying to me, so I always just go little drop by little drop and let them chew/swallow as they want. You have to get her pooping again….

How does her belly feel? Is it soft or hard? GI stasis is always something to be aware of - it happens fast and can take them out quick. Do you have any fruits or veggies that she will always eat? No broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach, but something a piece of pineapple or banana? If her belly is hard, massaging it can help, so can simethicone (gasx) but you need to keep her hydrated and get her to the vet tomorrow.

Am I able to giver her some pedialyte also with the juice? I have some unflavored, sugar free pedialyte on hand as well.
Yes - 5ml is my go-to. The juice is for flavor only so I usually put a drop in with water so they want to drink it when I’m syringe hydrating. if the pedialyte is unflavored, maybe a drop of juice to it too.

If you have Romaine lettuce and her bok Choi, leave that with her for the night along with grass (Timothy or oat or the like) hay. Take the pellets out until things get moving again. If her belly is soft and she isn’t acting like she’s in pain - hunched over, gritting teeth - and GI stasis is what it is, you caught it early. Hydration is more important than food so keep her drinking. You can also massage her belly while she‘s sitting in your lap, even if it’s soft, just in case.

I agree probably GI stasis. Could be she is in pain too, somewhere, if it happened to not be. Rabbits sometimes don't want to eat or drink when in pain and that can lead to stasis, too, on top of other problems.
If she's inside, it might be easier to notice this, but you could always check her nails. Once my rabbit ripped out a nail and I didn't even know, but he was in enough to pain to kind of cause a bit of GI stasis, which was what I first began to treat. I eventually saw him limping, too. One vet trip later and we realized he just needed pain meds. :rolleyes: Another thing you can check for is abscesses--if they have one, especially a dental abscess, it can cause them to stop eating. Feel under her chin and cheeks, and you could also do a full body exam. Never hurts anyways.

Your rabbit probably just has a little GI stasis, but for now and in the future I thought I'd drop by and let ya know those are some things you can look out for!
Also, I wanted to add that if you can, get some critical care. It's a powder with some nutrients and stuff, but you mix it with water and give it to them. Usually I just syringe, but you might be able to try the dropper if you're too uncomfortable for that. Critical care helps get water and a little something in their stomach, and I swear it has helped save multiple of my rabbits' lives before.

I have syringed all my rabbits but I never even thought of fruit juice and a dropper, that is a brilliant idea Disheygirl!

Do you have a stethoscope?
If you do I would listen for tummy bubbles.
She needs probiotics. Since she is a mammal and was raised on milk her body should naturally have the enzymes to digest milk, and this is why I use a bit of watered down yogurt. I would also give a tiny bit of molasses mixed with water via syringe.
Without probiotics her tummy won't be able to digest foods properly, and without a bit of sugar her brain will not tell her organs to function properly.
Infant gas drops would be beneficial as well, but I've only ever used yogurt and molasses water. I have had multiple bunnies dying from GI stasis perk up within minutes of receiving this mixture.

Back
Top Bottom