Concerned About Rabbit

Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
I’m slight concerned about my rabbit, and I’m not sure if i’m overreacting or not. I’m hoping you guys can help. Here’s what going on:
- Stopped eating today (Went to feed her bok choy and a little bit of parsley) These are normal things offered to her, but she took a few bites and hasn’t touched it since
- Hasn’t pooped
- I cleaned her litter box a few days ago and there’s only a few poops in there. I see her in the litter box often, but the same amount remains in there
- Haven’t seen her drink
- Ate a little bit of hay over the last few days
- Somewhat less active than usual, but not much

I’m fairly new to keeping rabbits, so I’m just not sure what could be going on. Thanks

How does her belly feel? Is it soft or hard? GI stasis is always something to be aware of - it happens fast and can take them out quick. Do you have any fruits or veggies that she will always eat? No broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach, but something a piece of pineapple or banana? If her belly is hard, massaging it can help, so can simethicone (gasx) but you need to keep her hydrated and get her to the vet tomorrow.

I wish I had advice for you, but I think that there is an issue going on. Could be a blockage which is very concerning for rabbits. Not entirely sure what the signs of GI stasis is for rabbits, but they should always be eating, and pooping. Try posting a thread on RabbitsOnine. Its a helpful forum, though not as quick to respond as BYC.
Can to you take her to a vet? If thats an option, I might take her in just to be on the safe side.
Is there anything she could have gotten into or chewed up? Foam, rubber, anything similar?

How does her belly feel? Is it soft or hard? GI stasis is always something to be aware of - it happens fast and can take them out quick. Do you have any fruits or veggies that she will always eat? No broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach, but something a piece of pineapple or banana? If her belly is hard, massaging it can help, so can simethicone (gasx) but you need to keep her hydrated and get her to the vet tomorrow.
I just felt her belly, and it’s soft. She had always attacked the bok choy since we’ve had her. Unfortunately, I don’t have pineapple and the bananas I do have are not ripe. Is there anything else I can give her?

I wish I had advice for you, but I think that there is an issue going on. Could be a blockage which is very concerning for rabbits. Not entirely sure what the signs of GI stasis is for rabbits, but they should always be eating, and pooping. Try posting a thread on RabbitsOnine. Its a helpful forum, though not as quick to respond as BYC.
Can to you take her to a vet? If thats an option, I might take her in just to be on the safe side.
Is there anything she could have gotten into or chewed up? Foam, rubber, anything similar?
She did recently get in with the chickens. Could shavings effect her if she ate any?

Pine and cedar are not good for rabbits - the breeder I bought mine from said toxic so I use the paper-ish bedding stuff. The biggest issue with GI stasis is that their GI tract dehydrates and stops. It can happen from her ingesting too much of their own fur - or shavings, or if they don’t get enough grass hay/roughage. Bunnies are delicate creatures.

I suspected GI stasis in one of my guys once and I gave him gasx (the liquigel - broke it open) mixed with pineapple juice in a syringe and let him drink it drop by drop and it worked. The key is to keep them hydrated so things get moving. Do you have a syringe and a drop of fruit juice? I don’t shoot it in their mouth - I’m sure a vet could, but aspiration is terrifying to me, so I always just go little drop by little drop and let them chew/swallow as they want. You have to get her pooping again….

Back
Top Bottom