Dog eating the chicken eggs

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
This morning a video showed up on my social media feed of a little dog stealing eggs from the coop.

The comments on it were absolutely wild saying how the dog should be shot, that the dog will escalate to killing the birds, etc.

And like- seriously? That’s a bit of an overreaction right? Not just me?
I understand needing to cull birds who eat the eggs or getting rid of a dog who chases the birds but. A dog gently sneaking an egg out from the coop and eating it?

Like you can easily adjust your coop and run to remove your dogs access to the nesting boxes.

That’s what I did this past weekend when I found out one of my dogs was helping herself.

Which, wasn’t at all unexpected for me. I used to toss her any eggs (sans shell) I accidentally broke during collection. Haven’t in a while cause she’s on a diet and has health concerns but.

Not helping matters was that my birds were laying in some funny places, including the doghouse. They’re now being penned up for a bit and being shown where I would like for them to lay their eggs.

But my dog killing my birds? Her? She’d be physically capable sure, and I don’t discount the fact that it’d only take once or that it’s always dogs you trust most who suddenly turn and do those sorts of things.
But like- she’s so mild-mannered and gentle. Her temperament is great and she learned as a puppy to be respectful of the birds.

Oh, for Pete's sake. Dogs will eat eggs if given a chance. Who can blame them? You just have to make sure the dog can't get in the coop and that the chickens have a proper place to lay. The people who said that the dog should be shot and that it will progress to killing chickens are idiots. A friend once gave me a nice flock of young chickens because "they weren't laying". They laid plenty of eggs for me. She bought another batch of chickens, and they didn't lay either. She was about to give them to me, when, unfortunately for me, her husband happened to look out the kitchen window just in time to see the family dog sneaking out of the chicken pen. Darn!!

Hi there, firstly take no notice of social media, it is a way of people who choose anonymity and have no conscience abusing and stressing out other people simply because they have a cruel and twisted sense of humour.
Ok I’m off my soap box now,
I have two dogs, two cats and eight hens who mix together happily (except when the hens attack the little dog when he’s … that’s another story).
Alfie used to steal the eggs and bring them to me, then I told him off so he started eating them (hiding the evidence).
Eventually I had to paint the plastic eggs with chilli oil which did the job.
Now all is calm again ❤️
Hugz
Oh and one other thing, I totally trust my dogs with the hens.

Last edited:
This morning a video showed up on my social media feed of a little dog stealing eggs from the coop.

The comments on it were absolutely wild saying how the dog should be shot, that the dog will escalate to killing the birds, etc.

And like- seriously? That’s a bit of an overreaction right? Not just me?
I understand needing to cull birds who eat the eggs or getting rid of a dog who chases the birds but. A dog gently sneaking an egg out from the coop and eating it?

Like you can easily adjust your coop and run to remove your dogs access to the nesting boxes.

That’s what I did this past weekend when I found out one of my dogs was helping herself.

Which, wasn’t at all unexpected for me. I used to toss her any eggs (sans shell) I accidentally broke during collection. Haven’t in a while cause she’s on a diet and has health concerns but.

Not helping matters was that my birds were laying in some funny places, including the doghouse. They’re now being penned up for a bit and being shown where I would like for them to lay their eggs.

But my dog killing my birds? Her? She’d be physically capable sure, and I don’t discount the fact that it’d only take once or that it’s always dogs you trust most who suddenly turn and do those sorts of things.
But like- she’s so mild-mannered and gentle. Her temperament is great and she learned as a puppy to be respectful of the birds.
As it was posted on April 1, it might just have been an April's Fool joke.

Hi there, firstly take no notice of social media, it is a way of people who choose anonymity and have no conscience abusing and stressing out other people simply because they have a cruel and twisted sense of humour.
Ok I’m off my soap box now,
I have two dogs, two cats and eight hens who mix together happily (except when the hens attack the little dog when he’s … that’s another story).
Alfie used to steal the eggs and bring them to me, then I told him off so he started eating them (hiding the evidence).
Eventually I had to paint the plastic eggs with chilli oil which did the job.
Now all is calm again ❤️
Hugz
Oh and one other thing, I totally trust my dogs with the hens.
This is not the same thing, but I used cayenne pepper for a while to discourage the dogs from getting into the bathroom wastebasket. It worked great until they developed a taste for cayenne pepper...

As much as I love BYC you will never find a thread about a chicken vs. neighbor dog issue that doesnt have at least one person recommending to shoot the dog. I NEVER comment on those threads because I avoid fighting. There is no situation and no amount of blabber that can make me think resorting to shooting a dog is the way to go... :smack

I use my dogs to find the eggs everyday since my chickens decided they so I’ll rather lay eggs all around the yard in a new place everyday then use nest box. 2/3 of my dogs will split an egg as a reward for finding them, the 3rd has pancreatitis and can’t have eggs anymore so she gets a special treat for helping instead!

Back
Top Bottom