Dogs and chickens - reactivity?

calicocows

Crowing
Mar 14, 2023
Virginia
Hello! I’m planning to get my first flock and my family and I are trying to determine how our dog will react to the chickens. While they will be fenced in to protect from predators, we’re worried she may bark a lot and terrorize them. She’s shown some interest in hunting birds when they’re close to her and is very reactive to sounds outside at night, as she’s part LGD. Does anyone have thoughts, experience, or advice?

My poodle border collie mix is very reactive. She was super annoying as a pup with the chickens but gradually I taught her to chill and now she can be trusted alone with them for short periods of time. You can start her with them on a leash so you don't have to risk your birds. Give her a treat whenever she doesn't react. I didn't use treats but sent the dog inside whenever she got too excited and that was enough to get her to stop charging the run. How old is your dog? Is she easy to train in general? My most stubborn dog (a GSD mix) was always good with my chickens so I think sometimes it depends more on a dog's personality than breed.

If you are alfa/pack leader, your dog will do as you tell/train it.
I raise the day old chicks with the dog. The dog is with me when every i feed, water, change bedding... I let her give them kisses and tell her that they are my baby chickens. I sit the chicks on me and feed them treats while the dog sits by me. I let her sniff and give the chicks kisses. by five weeks when the chicks are ready to go outside in the coop, the dog is trained to except them as part of OUR pack.

Attachments

• IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 3
If you are alfa/pack leader, your dog will do as you tell/train it.
I raise the day old chicks with the dog. The dog is with me when every i feed, water, change bedding... I let her give them kisses and tell her that they are my baby chickens. I sit the chicks on me and feed them treats while the dog sits by me. I let her sniff and give the chicks kisses. by five weeks when the chicks are ready to go outside in the coop, the dog is trained to except them as part of OUR pack.
This is a very good point. I would hold my chickens for my GSD and I think that helped him view them as mine and even made him a little protective of them.

A lot of patience.
Take it slow, correct her when she barks, runs, or in other ways goes after the chickens, and a big reward when she leaves them alone.
If the chickens are just an everyday thing, no big deal, she should soon leave them alone, at least well they are separated by a fence.
Some dogs are never going to be safe to keep with chickens, unfortunately.

My poodle border collie mix is very reactive. She was super annoying as a pup with the chickens but gradually I taught her to chill and now she can be trusted alone with them for short periods of time. You can start her with them on a leash so you don't have to risk your birds. Give her a treat whenever she doesn't react. I didn't use treats but sent the dog inside whenever she got too excited and that was enough to get her to stop charging the run. How old is your dog? Is she easy to train in general? My most stubborn dog (a GSD mix) was always good with my chickens so I think sometimes it depends more on a dog's personality than breed.
My dog is 4 and trainable enough, I’ve taught her some simple tricks. She needs periodic refreshers but when food is involved she is pretty good lol! Leashed interactions to start are a really good idea, thank you!

Your chickens will be fine. I have three dogs two large and one small. Despite having access to 30 acres my chickens will come right up to the dog fence on the other side even with the dogs barking at them. The chickens don’t care at all. My smaller Sheltie is a barker and he is allowed out of the fence when I’m outside with him. He tried to bark at a chicken once which resulted in him being chased and him getting a peck on the butt. Now he and the chickens co-exist just fine when we are all outside.

Your chickens will be fine. I have three dogs two large and one small. Despite having access to 30 acres my chickens will come right up to the dog fence on the other side even with the dogs barking at them. The chickens don’t care at all. My smaller Sheltie is a barker and he is allowed out of the fence when I’m outside with him. He tried to bark at a chicken once which resulted in him being chased and him getting a peck on the butt. Now he and the chickens co-exist just fine when we are all outside.
That’s hugely relieving, thank you!

My wife's Morkie already thinks they're live squeaky toys. His job with his toys is to tear them open and pull the squeaker out and destroy it. I don't think he will be getting close to the chickens.
I’m hoping my dog won’t share that opinion, and if she does, I hope that the predator proofing keeps her out too.

Back
Top Bottom