Confirm breed and gender on these lovelies?

lilbeastpdx

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hi! So here are a few updated pics. Number 1 is buff polish, and I think cockerel. Number 2 is SLW and I hope a pullet. Number 3 was tagged as a copper marans, but looks nothing like one in my opinion (zero copper anywhere, only tips of white on a few of its feathers and around its eyes??? What is this breed?) and I thought a cockerel, but at nine weeks going on ten weeks it still has a flesh comb, tho large, and zero wattles. What do you all think of these birds?

No. 1

No. 2

No. 3

Last edited:
I think the buff polish is a boy. Girls generally have a rounded bouffant crest, males have rock star wild crests. No.3 looks like a roo to me, no.2 I cannot make up my mind. - how old are these kids?

I think the buff polish is a  boy.  Girls generally have a rounded bouffant crest,  males have rock star wild crests.   No.3 looks like a roo to me,  no.2 I cannot make up my mind.  - how old are these kids?

They are at ten weeks right now.

Guess as to the actual breed of number 3?

I think the SLW is a pullet. She has that fluffy pullet rump ;)

They are finishing their ninth week right now. And number 3 was a ball of fluff until it's 5th week! The others feathered out, but this one looked like a giant fluffy chick. Haha. It made me think it's a roo.

It could just be behind everyone. The white will probably molt out in a few weeks. If it is a Copper Maran, the copper should start coming in soon. If it doesn't show after a few weeks, it's probably an Australorp.

It could just be behind everyone. The white will probably molt out in a few weeks. If it is a Copper Maran, the copper should start coming in soon. If it doesn't show after a few weeks, it's probably an Australorp.

Thanks! It seems in my reading that coppers get feathers by four weeks so I've been perplexed. Then the white tips on the feathers were confusing. We will see. I'll look up Australorp now to see what that is. :)

Here's a shot of mine at about 14 weeks old. They're the black ones. The one on the right started laying at about 21 weeks old. The one up front just laid her first egg a few days ago at 23 weeks old. I'm still waiting for eggs from the one with only her tail showing here.

Here's a shot of mine at about 14 weeks old. They're the black ones. The one on the right started laying at about 21 weeks old. The one up front just laid her first egg a few days ago at 23 weeks old. I'm still waiting for eggs from the one with only her tail showing here.
Your flock is so beautiful! Wow! I'm jealous! :) and I just asked my partner who said that he chose that one out of the "copper marans bin" because it was larger than all the others. It was! And it was a giant ball of fluff for ages. :) after looking at Australorp chick pics, I think you may be right. One pic showed a distinct black stripe down the chest of black feathers surrounded by white fluff. Mine had exactly the same thing. Anyway, I'm hoping it's a girl. I've given over 50% of my birds away because they were Roos. Terrible luck. :/

Back
Top Bottom