Confirmed 3 cockerels, updates on the other 2 suspects

EHook518

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2012
Denver, CO
I have posted pictures of these guys since they hatched. Now the time has come to confirm what has been said. They are nine weeks old today. #3 crowed this morning.
th.gif
I am going to look at some pullets today to replace them, the roos will be rehomed asap or go to the swap this weekend. 5 out of 6, boy can I pick them! It has been a learning experience for sure. It makes me sad to know I can't keep these guys, they are my pets.
hit.gif
Thank you for your help.

And please just reassure me that this one is still a pullet:

Last edited:
If they are just 9 weeks old for sure, then only the last one is a definite pullet, though cross breeds are harder to sex at times.

Did you get those at a swap? Be careful getting birds at swaps and flea markets. That can be a disease nightmare. Folks are just super ignorant of chicken disease and some will sell you sick birds, or birds who have been sick in the past, just because they can. Most leave the birds carriers and you can't tell that by looking at them. Just a word of caution.

They are really good looking birds, though.

Last edited:
If they are just 9 weeks old for sure, then only the last one is a definite pullet, though cross breeds are harder to sex at times.

Did you get those at a swap? Be careful getting birds at swaps and flea markets. That can be a disease nightmare. Folks are just super ignorant of chicken disease and some will sell you sick birds, or birds who have been sick in the past, just because they can. Most leave the birds carriers and you can't tell that by looking at them. Just a word of caution.

They are really good looking birds, though.

They hatched in my classroom, so I am sure on the age and I personally would not by from the swap. I am going to a breeder to get the pullets. But I have to rehome these guys asap, I live in the city so roosters are not allowed. I think they are good looking too, thank you!

I agree. With mixes/mutts/blends it is often somewhat more difficult. However, since you hatched them and know for certain they are only 9 weeks old, I'd concur with Speckledhen. The last one doesn't show much yet, which is a good thing, if you're looking for pullets. The rest are cockerels, quite likely. Too much leg, too upright in stance, too much comb and wattles at 9 weeks.

I would also agree with the caution when attending "swaps". Not only are all the diseases of the entire area on display in one place, but extreme skepticism needs to be exercised when folks declare the breeding and gender of what they are trying to peddle. Just the way it is.

They hatched in my classroom, so I am sure on the age and I personally would not by from the swap. I am going to a breeder to get the pullets. But I have to rehome these guys asap, I live in the city so roosters are not allowed. I think they are good looking too, thank you!

Good for you. Do you know the breeder well? Do you know of that person's reputation, from other, previous customers? Sad to say it, but many so-called breeders are merely mills, if you know what I mean. Again, skepticism is a healthy thing in the chicken world. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I'd say cockerels, except the last one, she's definitely a pullet. I'd also wait and see what happens with the one in the second pic, unless of coarse, that is one of them that crowed.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I'd say cockerels, except the last one, she's definitely a pullet. I'd also wait and see what happens with the one in the second pic, unless of coarse, that is one of them that crowed.
hmm.png

#2 was not the one crowing but it is the biggest, late to feather and the top of the pecking order (and has tree trunks for legs). I would LOVE that one to be a pullet, but I don't think it is. For some reason when I take pictures of that one, its comb doesn't look as red in the pics as in person.

#2 was not the one crowing but it is the biggest, late to feather and the top of the pecking order (and has tree trunks for legs). I would LOVE that one to be a pullet, but I don't think it is. For some reason when I take pictures of that one, its comb doesn't look as red in the pics as in person.

I'm looking at the size of the comb and wattles, compared to the one in the first pic, as they seem to be the same mix. The one in the first pic is definitely a cockerel, but that second one looks kind of "girly" to me

I'm just saying, if it were me, I'd wait and see with that one.
hu.gif

I'm looking at the size of the comb and wattles, compared to the one in the first pic, as they seem to be the same mix. The one in the first pic is definitely a cockerel, but that second one looks kind of "girly" to me

I'm just saying, if it were me, I'd wait and see with that one.
hu.gif

I always thought it was fluffy and should be a pullet. I might keep it till it crows or lays lol!

Back
Top Bottom