Confused Khaki's - sitting on eggs only at night

Mar 27, 2018
Greater Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Everyone, we have 4 Khaki Campbell ducks, 3 ladies and 1 drake. We bought this breed knowing they don't like to sit on eggs and hatch out babies, but since we've had our 1 1/2 month old newest baby chicks out in the run with the grown ups, the ducks are babysitting them, following them around, if I leave them out past dark before bringing the babies back inside (still too cold out for them to stay out all night) the ducks stay next to them and quack at the house to let me know I forgot the kids. The lady ducks have also started sitting on their eggs - but only at night. I've been leaving their eggs seeing if they'll take it seriously but they cover them during the day with straw, then sit on them at night. This isn't going to work for incubation but I don't think they know that.

Has anyone else had this breed and had a successful broody duck? Any tips on how to convince the girls to follow through?

Are they still depositing eggs in the nest?..If so they are not ready to set the eggs. Keep waiting to see if one will?..

They are - but these girls lay an egg a day even through the winter. Maybe they will but last night I saw two of them sharing one nest, even though they've made three and filled them with eggs. They keep switching nests and then having on one. Maybe they'll figure it out?

They are - but these girls lay an egg a day even through the winter. Maybe they will but last night I saw two of them sharing one nest, even though they've made three and filled them with eggs. They keep switching nests and then having on one. Maybe they'll figure it out?
A Broody doesn't lay eggs...

I was under the impression KCs are good sitters as well as mothers. I’ve only had a Drake that was a turd.:idunno

Looks like they are practicing. Just leave the eggs and see what happens. If they were mine I would date the day they were laid so I could remove the old ones if they started sitting full time. I’ve never had one explode but was told they are terrible smelling.

I was under the impression KCs are good sitters as well as mothers. I’ve only had a Drake that was a turd.:idunno

Looks like they are practicing. Just leave the eggs and see what happens. If they were mine I would date the day they were laid so I could remove the old ones if they started sitting full time. I’ve never had one explode but was told they are terrible smelling.

I plan on taking most of them out this weekend, as they have too many to sit on, and are not quite sure what to do yet. They have been great parents to the baby chicks though - the girls were showing the baby chicks how to drink out of their pond too - I wish I had that moment on video!

Back
Top Bottom