Confused on Age to Introduce New Chicks to Existing Flock

I personally don't believe the younger the better for everyone. We all have our unique set-ups, flocks, management techniques, and everything else that what works for one may not work for another. From what you describe though I would start very young. I think you can handle it but you may have challenges.

If your coop is too small to section off, how well will it work to sleep 8 chickens, especially with some juveniles and others fully mature? Some of that depends on how it is laid out, it's not just size, but them sleeping together can be a challenge. With mine until the pullets start laying they are not mature enough to share the main roosts with the adults, they get beat up when they try. So they look for another safer place to sleep. A lot of the time that is the coop floor though it can be nests. I solved that issue by adding a special juvenile roost, separated a few feet horizontally from the main roost, about a foot lower than the main roosts, and higher than the nests. Occasionally some will sleep on the main roosts early, there are always exceptions. How that works with you will depend a lot on how the roosts are laid out and the personality of your mature hens. As long as mine are not sleeping in the nests and are safe from predators I don't care where they sleep.

Can you get that tractor inside your run? At that size I doubt it but it might simplify things. Another possibility might be to park that playpen next to the main run and build a connection with a pop door between the two. That's how my grow-out pen is set up. If you do have to build something in the run, don't think coop, think shelter. All they need is a place to get out of the weather when they sleep. And fence off a portion of that big run so they can see each other.

My brooder is in the main coop. My brooder-raised chicks go there straight from the incubator or post office so they grow up with the flock. If I have enough room in the main coop I open the brooder door at five weeks. After they are all out I close the brooder door. They are now on their own with the flock. I've never lost a chick doing this but I have a lot of room in the coop and outside. Other than when they lay eggs or sleep the older chickens are not in the coop. When the chicks go outside they have plenty of room to avoid the adults. But this is not your situation.

When my main coop is getting crowded I move the 5 week old chicks to my grow out coop and pen. It usually takes me two or three weeks before they are all putting themselves to bed in that grow-out coop instead of sleeping in their run. Once I'm comfortable they will put themselves to bed in the grow-out coop instead of trying to sleep somewhere else, I open the gate to the main run and let them mingle with the adults. I have a 12' x 32' main run and about a 45' x 70' area inside electric netting so they have a lot of room. Usually around 12 weeks of age I move them or maybe just the pullets into the main coop at night, but my main coop is set up for that. After a month of rubbing shoulders with the adults outside I don't have issues. I've never lost a chicken doing it this way either.

Your set-up and conditions are different from mine. You may need to tweak some of this or do it totally differently. Hopefully you can get something out of all this that helps you plan it. A big part of it is to remain flexible. Good luck!

Yes the article was great! Trouble is I can't split coop - so I'll have to make a temp go-to
coop and can always use to isolate a sick bird.

The simplest way to do it is when they are fully feathered put them in a pen next to the hens for approx 1 week and then let them mix during the day when adding very young birds it best to do it during the day I find then keep a very close eye on them for 3 days and If everything is ok they should be fine

Well that makes us feel bit better. The articles I have read are 50/50 with many stating
absolutely wait till all the same size.
I've had trouble with that advice too... Especially if you have hens and a roo already 2 or 3 years old... Gonna be awhile before the pullets are of 'equal size'. The last introduction I did I did at 5 or 6 weeks (using the see but don't touch) and then gradually (while supervised I opened up the gate from the temporary parallel run and watched how things unfolded. Thankfully it seemed to work well.

I put mine in pretty darn small. About 2 weeks, but what really works is a set up that allows the chicks to have a safety zone, a place they can retreat too and eat and drink that the big chickens can't get too.

Instead of locking them up separately, see no touch, mine is open at the bottom, about 5 inches, and the chicks begin to explore when they are ready, and retreat when it gets to be too much.

Mrs K

I put mine in pretty darn small. About 2 weeks, but what really works is a set up that allows the chicks to have a safety zone, a place they can retreat too and eat and drink that the big chickens can't get too.

Instead of locking them up separately, see no touch, mine is open at the bottom, about 5 inches, and the chicks begin to explore when they are ready, and retreat when it gets to be too much.

Mrs K

Interesting approach! I guess where they retreat to at that age has the supplemental heating available. I'd be tempted to maybe try that at 4 weeks, but with my luck I'd worry about not having isolated the chicks from my main flock JIC they had some sort of contagious illness. I'm sure this works great (and thanks for the idea!)

I DO think there's a lot to be said about introducing them while they are not full-grown. I'm not a chicken, but the point that some make that the more adolescent pullet is less threatening to the flock than one of equal size. After the first day (while supervised) I usually open things up enough so that the littles can go in and out the protected area. Then watch how things go. This round will only be my third time doing a merging, always a bit apprehensive about the process but for the most part, taken slowly, it seems to work itself out.

Thankfully, my little ones will just be turning 4 weeks old come Wednesday,,, so I have a couple of weeks to think about what approach I will use.... I have an idea already, but always leave the plan up for revision until I've thought through what my final approach will be.

Just an unrelated aside: One thing for sure, for the future; I'm going to stop putting the brooder set-up in the guest room and put it instead in a corner of my workshop (also indoors). Whether using pine shavings or sand, the dust and dander end up everywhere and it is a good day (at least) of LOTS of dusting and cleaning. In my amateur workshop I have one of those heavy duty shop air filters that run from the ceiling - plus,,, dust in the worshop is not the same as having it spread finely about the guest room. Just will save myself additional labors trying to help the room to 'recover' after the babies are outside. You live and you learn. :)

Last edited:
Interesting approach! I guess where they retreat to at that age has the supplemental heating available. I'd be tempted to maybe try that at 4 weeks, but with my luck I'd worry about not having isolated the chicks from my main flock JIC they had some sort of contagious illness. I'm sure this works great (and thanks for the idea!)
Very young chicks from reputable sources are unlikely to be a source of disease/pests, so as a general rule it's safe to have them around your flock without a quarantine period. It works both ways though - i.e. if your chicks are vaccinated against Marek's the vaccine needs some time to activate.
One thing for sure, for the future; I'm going to stop putting the brooder set-up in the guest room and put it instead in a corner of my workshop (also indoors). Whether using pine shavings or sand, the dust and dander end up everywhere and it is a good day (at least) of LOTS of dusting and cleaning. In my amateur workshop I have one of those heavy duty shop air filters that run from the ceiling - plus,,, dust in the worshop is not the same as having it spread finely about the guest room. Just will save myself additional labors trying to help the room to 'recover' after the babies are outside. You live and you learn. :)
Another suggestion, in conjunction with the advice above - consider brooding the chicks outside, either in the coop or run (depending on your set up). Makes very early integration possible, and is MUCH easier in terms of keeping things clean.

You really do not need to keep them indoors, and they really don't need supplemental heat at 2 weeks. They do need a huddle box, where their own heat will keep them warm. They do better with cold spots and warm spots instead of a consistent temperature.

I got the idea from watching a broody hen with her chicks. She does not keep them a constant temperature, she lets them run, and then gives them a warm up. People tend to think the broody hen gives a lot of heat to the chick, but mostly she just traps the heat around the chick.

Daylight and fresh air are important. There are many ways to raise the chicks, and I am not saying your way is wrong, but my dh would never go for that. So I had to come up with a different way.

Back
Top Bottom