Confused on all Flock Feed

Feed D/P POULTRY CRUMBLE MIX as the sole ration. Provide free choice grit and fresh, clean water at all times.

FARMERS BEST A/P POULTRY CRUMBLES is an all-purpose ration for starting chicks, growing pullets, laying hens, adult ducks and adult geese. Feed FARMERS BEST A/P POULTRY CRUMBLES along with free choice oyster shell to laying hens.
So based on this D/P would be layer and A/P an all flock feed right?

And at least you didn't confuse perennial and perineal :p

@Kiki here is another brand, produced by Keystone Mills in upstate NY.

image.jpg

I am using this with my new batch of chicks and am EXTREMELY happy with it. The local farm I get it from is actually closer to me than TSC so an extra bonus.

@Kiki here is another brand, produced by Keystone Mills in upstate NY.

View attachment 3188546

I am using this with my new batch of chicks and am EXTREMELY happy with it. The local farm I get it from is actually closer to me than TSC so an extra bonus.
WOW - look at the LYS! Big breasted broilers with that stuff! Fiber's good, its fatty. Definitely a broiler-type mix. Good phosphorus to support rapid bone growth.

If I were raising meaties and that was available to me, I'd probably reach for it. That may be better than the game bird grower I use now. How's pricing???

WOW - look at the LYS! Big breasted broilers with that stuff! Fiber's good, its fatty. Definitely a broiler-type mix. Good phosphorus to support rapid bone growth.

If I were raising meaties and that was available to me, I'd probably reach for it. That may be better than the game bird grower I use now. How's pricing???
About the same as the cheapest comp bag at TSC. They have a regular and non-gmo bag as well, but since they are just for our family, we spend on the organic. I drive to the site to pick it up (big barn on a farm, lol.) My retailer sells to a lot of local farms and delivers, but gives a 10% discount if you pay cash and pick up your own. The regular layer feed is $2 less than any bag at TSC, smells fresh, is bright yellow, and the chickens love it.

We have mostly layer chicks but im suspecting a handful of roos that will be processed from that group so I hope they get nice and big! DH is super excited because we are doing a batch of meat birds next, and we just found this guy and are so happy. There has been no health problems with these chicks, pasty butt abated after arrival & shipping stress, no one lethargic. And it’s usually a week or less old since it’s milled regularly.

Here is their non-gmo starter feed list:
1657998570844.png

About the same as the cheapest comp bag at TSC. They have a regular and non-gmo bag as well, but since they are just for our family, we spend on the organic. I drive to the site to pick it up (big barn on a farm, lol.) My retailer sells to a lot of local farms and delivers, but gives a 10% discount if you pay cash and pick up your own. The regular layer feed is $2 less than any bag at TSC, smells fresh, is bright yellow, and the chickens love it.

We have mostly layer chicks but im suspecting a handful of roos that will be processed from that group so I hope they get nice and big! DH is super excited because we are doing a batch of meat birds next, and we just found this guy and are so happy. There has been no health problems with these chicks, pasty butt abated after arrival & shipping stress, no one lethargic. And it’s usually a week or less old since it’s milled regularly.

Here is their non-gmo starter feed list:
View attachment 3188596
That's the one I'd grab, but as you know, I put no premium on Organic and it has higher Met - better for my "dual purpose" birds.

Which feed stores?

If you've got Southern States then your all-flock feeds are Southern States/Nutrena Country Feeds Flock Balancer pellets or Super Breeder crumble and, depending on the store, possibly Purina Flock Raiser.

If you've got Tractor Supply then your all-flock feeds are Purina Flock Raiser, Nutrena Naturewise All Flock, and Dumor All Flock (which is only 17% protein and therefore inferior to the 20% feeds).
I've been feeding the Purina Layena (Oyster Strong formula w/ added omega-3) to my laying hens and mature rooster for 3-4 years now. I wasn't even aware of an "all flock" feed. Now I'm questioning whether I've been feeding my small flock appropriately. Would you recommend the "all flock" over the Layena, especially since I have the 1 rooster? Or am I concerned for naught?

I've been feeding the Purina Layena (Oyster Strong formula w/ added omega-3) to my laying hens and mature rooster for 3-4 years now. I wasn't even aware of an "all flock" feed. Now I'm questioning whether I've been feeding my small flock appropriately. Would you recommend the "all flock" over the Layena, especially since I have the 1 rooster? Or am I concerned for naught?
I would say no and to stick with the layer feed.
Your rooster is more likely to die of old age from eating the layer feed than he will die from suffering from eating too much calcium.

Your layers will suffer much more quickly from not getting enough calcium if you give them the option to eat it or not.

Are You currently having issues in your flock?

Back
Top Bottom