Conjoined Yolks… Conjoined twins?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Cracked this huge egg, expecting it to be a double yolk. It is, but the yolks were joined together. In theory. could this have hatched conjoined twins?
IMG_6112.jpeg

I’ve seen chicks with 3 and 4 legs. Could that be produced by something like this?

I’m not trying to hatch weird eggs, just curious. It was just as delicious as any double yolk egg.

It is my understanding a double yolk egg will not hatch, there is just not enough room in the shell. But that might be a wives tail. With some experience, you can usually identify which egg will be a double yolkier - but sometimes not. I would not set those eggs.

Cracked this huge egg, expecting it to be a double yolk. It is, but the yolks were joined together. In theory. could this have hatched conjoined twins?
View attachment 3761798

I’ve seen chicks with 3 and 4 legs. Could that be produced by something like this?

I’m not trying to hatch weird eggs, just curious. It was just as delicious as any double yolk egg.
I’ve never seen one in person, but I heard an egg like that can make a four legged chicken, or possibly one with two beaks.

There's been a few chicks posted on here with a partially absorbed twin (usually presenting as extra legs) but I don't know if a conjoined yolk would lead to that, or if there's something else at play during the developmental process.

It is my understanding a double yolk egg will not hatch, there is just not enough room in the shell. But that might be a wives tail. With some experience, you can usually identify which egg will be a double yolkier - but sometimes not. I would not set those eggs.
Yea, I would not intentionally set a double yolk to hatch. Which is why I ate this one, lol. But it was not what I expected to see even in the frying pan.

There's been a few chicks posted on here with a partially absorbed twin (usually presenting as extra legs) but I don't know if a conjoined yolk would lead to that, or if there's something else at play during the developmental process.
This is pretty much what I was curious about. Something in the DNA or something with how the egg developed.

Most double yolked eggs only make it to day 10. I have had double yolks make it to day 17, and 19, but by that point, they had absorbed a twin. Or the twin died, and too much fluid was left over.

Back
Top Bottom