Connecticut!

[COLOR=333333]Will contact you most def. I wish I could do more than 6 but my brinsea only holds 7 (6 with hygrometer). Also my coop fits 10 and I already have 7 that I am keeping. I am trying to rehome my roosters if you know of anyone. Wyandotte/barred rock mix. [/COLOR]Edited by gbartha - Yesterday at 11:43 pm It is hard to rehome roosters, especially this time of year with so many people giving them away. I have culled many really nice pure blooded Ameraucana, Copper Marans and Legbars while only managing to rehome 1. Right now I am fighting hard not to cull a white sport Legbar. they are rare but just dont have the room for him, and a few others. If someone isnt willing to give you five to 10 rehoming fee they are usually just looking for free meat. I might as well feed my family. I put an ad on craigs list and a guy said he would take them all because they sounded like they would be good breeders for his flock. Now mind you I had like fifteen roosters of various ages and breeds. He wanted them all but wouldnt tell me what kind of chickens he had. When I told him they would be five dollars each I never heard from him again. I remembered him trying to do the same thing last year. Good luck
I am sorry :(. I hope he finds a good home. We thought about the meat route but our two roosters are just 4 weeks and crowing. Not sure I can wait 6-10 more weeks. Not even sure where I would take them.

There are places like the one in Springfield Ma that processes animals for you. Look for places that sell live/ fresh or ask at an animal auction. It is easy to learn how to do it yourself. The first one is the hardest after that it gets easier and you get better with practice. The first couple look like they were mauled. It also helps to have someone show you the best practices find a friend or look for online videos. People will be impresses when you tell them you harvest you own chickens. lol

There are places like the one in Springfield Ma that processes animals for you. Look for places that sell live/ fresh or ask at an animal auction. It is easy to learn how to do it yourself. The first one is the hardest after that it gets easier and you get better with practice. The first couple look like they were mauled. It also helps to have someone show you the best practices find a friend or look for online videos. People will be impresses when you tell them you harvest you own chickens. lol
Windy, I found someone in Enfield that would take them. His name is Bruce from HorseFeathers Farm. His farm is goats, Australian shepherds and chickens. I didn't ask what he was to do with them and I couldn't keep them till they were old enough for our dinner table. He did say that he just sold a bunch at auction. Out of my 4 roosters, I did keep 1. So I have 1 roo and 2 hens. I am getting 3 more sexed day old chicks this saturday. Fingers crossed they are healthy and all hens.

Windy, I found someone in Enfield that would take them. His name is Bruce from HorseFeathers Farm. His farm is goats, Australian shepherds and chickens. I didn't ask what he was to do with them and I couldn't keep them till they were old enough for our dinner table. He did say that he just sold a bunch at auction. Out of my 4 roosters, I did keep 1. So I have 1 roo and 2 hens. I am getting 3 more sexed day old chicks this saturday. Fingers crossed they are healthy and all hens.
Speaking of auctions. There used to be someone who placed an ad on craigslist saying they would accept and re home any unwanted roosters. They asked you to drop them off in a cage you didn't want back on Sunday, because they would be going to their new homes on Monday. It was obvious to me they were taking them to the Monday poultry auction in Durham CT but not being open about it. Wasnt sure how to feel about it. On one hand people got to feel good about re homing their roosters and she made a money on the side. On the other hand she was being a bit deceitful making people think they were going to a new forever home.

Last edited:
Speaking of auctions. There used to be someone who placed an ad on craigslist saying they would accept and re home any unwanted roosters. They asked you to drop them off in a cage you didn't want back on Sunday, because they would be going to their new homes on Monday. It was obvious to me they were taking them to the Monday poultry auction in Durham CT but not being open about it. Wasnt sure how to feel about it. On one hand people got to feel good about re homing their roosters and she made a money on the side. On the other hand she was being a bit deceitful making people think they were going to a new forever home.

Is the poultry auction expensive? Something to look into for future birds. I get what you mean about them not being open/honest. Maybe that's what this guy does. It's hard because raising them from eggs, I want them rehomed to a decent place. For this batch, the only money out of my pocket was the feed (eggs were free from coworker , incubator and brooder property of my work).

I do not recommend getting birds at a poultry auction! It is a place where people get rid of the birds they dont want so you can expect problems. It is usually roosters and older hens. All the birds from many different sellers are kept together, Many birds being taken to and from the property each week, It all adds up to a greater risk of spreading any diseases back to your flock. Just for added information the average roosters usually go for about $10 each more for larger ones less for smaller ones. It is really a fresh meat auction. Still interesting to see how it all works and what is available.
I went when I first got my farm and was looking for a few goats to start a small herd. I quickly realized the above rules apply to them as well. It is more obvious with the larger animals as you see more of the old, the sick, the injured and the deformed. I now get young bucks to raise as stud from a local farm. The one in CT is better for poultry and small animals rabbits etc, The one in MA is better for larger animals.

I do not recommend getting birds at a poultry auction! It is a place where people get rid of the birds they dont want so you can expect problems. It is usually roosters and older hens.  All the birds from many different sellers are kept together, Many birds being taken to and from the property each week, It all adds up to a greater risk of spreading any diseases back to your flock. Just for added information the average roosters usually go for about $10 each more for larger ones less for smaller ones. It is really a fresh meat auction. Still interesting to see how it all works and what is available.
  I went when I first got my farm and was looking for a few goats to start a small herd. I quickly realized the above rules apply to them as well. It is more obvious with the larger animals as you see more of the old, the sick, the injured and the deformed. I now get young bucks to raise as stud from a local farm. The one in CT is better for poultry and small animals rabbits etc, The one in MA is better for larger animals.     

Yes you are right. That was worded wrong. I meant to say that its a possible option to have for future rooster rehoming if needed. My future hatching eggs and chicks will be from a rep. Farm or breeder.

Before I tossed him up on Craigslist free section I wanted to offer up my 13 week old mottled bantam frizzled Cochin. Free to whoever wants to come get him in Stratford. Great bird, beautiful healthy bird, just can't have roosters.

Looking to rehome a 12 week old olive Egger roo and a 12 week old cream legbar roo. Please let me know if interested, both free and looking to go ASAP. My neighbors have been cool so far but don't want to upset them.

Back
Top Bottom