Considering Guineas.... need some advice.

huckleberryfarm

Chickenista
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Greenwood, SC
What will they get into on the farm? We have blueberries, an orchard, flowers, a veggie garden (with a 4 ft wall around it). What do guineas generally get into and destroy? My chickens are all in covered runs. They destroyed everything quickly. Will guineas eat all the blueberries, grapes, raspberries off the plants? Or do they stick to ground bugs and stuff? Any thoughts?

Guineas eat bugs, and seem to nip seed heads off the top of various grasses. They could not care less about any kind of fruit or vegetable as far as I've seen (we have had up to sixteen, at nine right now). They do not scratch with their feet the way chickens do, so they are easier on the garden. A four foot fence won't keep out a guinea if they want to get in, but ours usually don't bother since there is plenty of other room. They will scratch up areas to dust in, just like chickens.

You will need to coop them for several weeks (brood them in their coop is what I'd do), so they know where home is. Otherwise they are likely to run off.

How much room do you have? They are wanderers even though they'll come home at night if trained to.

Edited: because I can't spell a two-letter word.

Last edited:
Mine will peck at the almost ripe tomatoes sometimes and for some reason they like to eat the petals off my daisys but other than that they pretty much leave the gardens alone other than an occasional dust bath.

I've read and have been told that anything you feed to your Guineas from your garden... they will find and help themselves to if given the chance. My Guineas stay out of my garden, but as far as my flowers and berries in and around the yard, they don't bother them. They are more interested in weeds, seeds, green grasses and bugs.

Last edited:
I have about 15 guineas, and they barely ever eat my seeds or veggies - they forage in the grass for bugs, and they like a bit of cracked corn. They are VERY low maintenance, and fun to watch. and the noise doesn't bother me at all, I like it.

personally i love guineas!!!! They eat all kinds of different bugs, ticks, beetles, june bugs, japanese beetles, potatoe bugs, slugs, even eat small snakes and mice and frogs. we haven't had any ticks on us in the past few years since we've gotten guineas, and their eggs are FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom