Considering mini dairy goats... Mini-mancha vs. Mini-Nubian?

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
We really wanted to get dairy goats, but the house we ended up buying just has too little land and is too "neighborhood-y" for a herd of full-sized goats. We have 8 chickens and a big vegetable garden, and we need to keep it all pretty low-impact in this fairy chi-chi neighborhood
smile.png

So.... we're considering the feasiblity of just two mini does.

Criteria that are important to us are that they be good/easy milkers, have sweet personalities, and be calm and quiet, as far as that's possible. We were considering regular Nigerian Dwarfs, but it seems we would prefer better milking and that those guys can be really LOUD and super active. Not great for our situation.

Someone suggested Mini Manchas, and I did read that the LaMancha is the calmest, quietest of the dairy breeds.

Then, we LOVE the look of the Mini Nubians. But I read that Nubians are "active and energetic".... does that mean they will be less calm and more noisy than the Mini Manchas, do you think?

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with these breeds! Also- I know there are mini-nubian breeders in Maine, but have only seen mini mancha breeders out west
sad.png
Anyone know of any in New England?

Nubians are loud. My LaManchas were very quiet and sweet, although the kids did holler some at feeding time when they were bottle fed. Mama was a lot quieter. Nubians aren't quite as cold hardy as LaManchas although people do keep them in cold places like Michigan and Minnesota. LaManchas also put out slightly more milk with slightly less butterfat. Both breeds produce less but with higher butterfat than breeds like Saanens and Toggenburgs.

Thanks- I was afraid of that (Nubians=loud)..... Unfortunately I cannot find any mini-mancha breeders anywhere local! Very frustrating...

Would it be possible for you to find a LaMancha breeder near you and offer to buy the babies from one of their does if they breed it with a nigerian?

Quote:
I have a Pig. Nig. Dwarf that I want to milk as she is full with a 8 week old as well. The problem is, I have never done this and her........how do I say this....Ummmm..are so small, I would be lucky to get one finger and a thumb on it. I would think 5 hours later I might have a cup to soak my sore fingers in... I would go with the bigger goats with bigger........you know......

Quote:
I have a Pig. Nig. Dwarf that I want to milk as she is full with a 8 week old as well. The problem is, I have never done this and her........how do I say this....Ummmm..are so small, I would be lucky to get one finger and a thumb on it. I would think 5 hours later I might have a cup to soak my sore fingers in... I would go with the bigger goats with bigger........you know......

They're called teats. It's not a dirty word.
lol.png

Well I loved my Nubians I had for 4H projects. They were excellent milkers but do they ever TALK!!!! And they did well in cold weathers with shelters pretty well as long fresh water and hay was available for them.

I've heard that LaMancha goats were about the quietest breeds.

LOL at the tiny teats...I can imagine they would be smaller but you didn't have to make it harder on yourself by not saying "teats"!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom