Considering small scale commercial poultry production

Blue Legs

Songster
Mar 4, 2021
I have started a small farm business in Oregon. Currently focusing on microgreens production, but I am strongly considering expanding into a limited commercial poultry operation as well. Oregon has some very favorable farm-to-table style laws that allow home processing and sales so long as certain conditions are met. I have a few questions for any of you out there that may also raise and sell small numbers of poultry. I currently have a fenced in coop/run with 9 laying boxes and enough roosting space for 40 birds or so, and a separate run for turkeys which has roosting space for aprox 20 full sized adults. The birds are able to free range dawn-dusk over aprox 1 fenced in acre. Current stock includes-

8-10 pure bresse hens of various ages
3 bresse roosters, 2x 2yr old, 1x 6 months old
6 jersey giant hens of various ages
1 jersey giant rooster aprox 6 months old
8 bresse/giant hybrid hens
12 white leghorn hens
Bourbon red tom and 3 hens
narragannassett tom and 3 hens

I am planning on focusing on bresse and bresse/giant F1 hybrids for meat production, and am trying to decide how much space I need to plan on per batch. I am planning on raising each batch for 5-6 months. My plan was to start each batch of 30 in a brooder I have which measures 2x8 for about 2-3 weeks and then move them into a 8x16 tractor for 2-3 weeks and then into some sort of finishing pens. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how much space 30 birds would need in a stationary location? I was thinking maybe two 8x16ft pens with 15 in each one?

I am currently hand plucking and can do a whole chicken in a few minutes, but for commercial purposes I am considering a plucking machine. Does anyone have any thoughts on plucking machines? I get nervous watching those things toss chickens around and would hate to ruin something I put so much effort into.

I have been raising chickens successfully for a few years now and just love the meat quality, this is my first year doing heritage turkeys although I did raise a few broadbreasted last year. I am selling the eggs produced as well, hence the leghorns, and am also planning on selling hatching eggs and possibly chicks/poults.

Any suggestions? Things you wish you knew before starting? Mistakes I'm making? Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks everyone!

Heritage chickens need 10sqft each in run and 4 sqft in coop.
Heritage turkeys 100sqft run and 10 sqft coop. They need room to run from each other. They get an idea in there head to go after someone they will chase a turkey or chicken around for 15 mins

Heritage turkeys are best harvested after 6 months.

I have a yardbird plucker. I have to clean the feathers out of heritage breeds every 2 birds. Can do 2 chickens at once that dress out 6lbs. They knock each other around so it works better.
Turkeys I have to remove long wing and tail feathers, neck and feet. Have to stop and flip. Sometimes gets jambed. Can only do one 17lb dressed turkey.
Plucker that can handle without that and bigger turkeys is expensive

Back
Top Bottom