Consolidated Kansas

Deerfield good luck with your procedure. My prayers are with you.

Today has been very busy but very profitable. I made $280 off my first customer and $250 off my second one. Plus I have fewer chicks to feed. Still way too many but fewer anyway. I wish I could do this one day a week. I would be very happy.
Procedure went well, took all of 3 minutes with only lidocaine, after waiting for 4 hours for the electrophysiologist to show. He just shoved a tiny little Wi Fi heart monitor under the skin. It doesn't even show other than the bandage of course.

I'm so glad you made some sales today! Awesome!

Anyone from or lear Leavenworth. New to the site
Welcome! I'm not from the Leavenworth area but we must have some from up there. I'm from the Derby/Rose Hill area, south of Wichita.

Someone asked about cocci a few pages back, oregano oil will nip it in the bud quick. Always mix it with olive oil or carrier oil so it's not quite so irritating and caustic first.

Sorry to hear bout you all's kitties, we had one that was almost human once too, uncanny they are! She lives to age of 21! Much sympathy.

Prairie, when you take one of the ones that just look like yolk, do me a favor and break it open to see if anything started to develop. Maybe my hens butts are too fluffy? They look fertile when I crack them to eat them so maybe age? I just don't know. Anyhow I know those big eggs are so hard to see what is going on.

Kskingbee, thanks on the silver pied. I asked the guy for pictures and they were pretty sad looking little pied hens, that were no stronger pied than my little split to whites. He changed his ad to a ? After I told him no. :lol:

Good Danz on getting some sales!

Welcome to all the newbies!

It's from Hawaii.....I miss my birdies though and my dumb dog has decided to escape EVERY night and poor sis is dealing with it all alone. Not sure if he smells a female in heat or just decide he won't respect the fence after two years! He had gate torn open and ruined so bad yesterday all my birds were out wandering the yard so I sm here worrying bout my dumb mutt!
Anyhow...

Anyone from or lear Leavenworth. New to the site
One of our members zigzag45 is from Leavenworth I believe. If not he's real close. Hopefully he'll pop in soon.
Quote:
Are heat lamps necessary in Kansas? Planning a coop just didn't know if I should add that into the design. Thanks for the help
Well when designing if you can add a couple outlets and an overhead lamp you certainly won't regret it. Even if you have to run an extention cord to use them. It's much safer to have something wired permanently than trying to rig something later. If you are talking about mature chickens, no you don't need heat lamps. Ventilation is much more important than heat. I do recommend buying a heated dog water bowl though for winter so you don't have to chip ice for them to drink. Of course if you plan to have chicks you will need heatlamps. Tell us more about your plans and let us help you plan your coop. Lots of knowledge here and several different options too.

Originally Posted by thndrdancr
I have to know.. what are these birds?

I don't know, danz. I was told some type of Cardinal! I will have to do research. The only place I saw them was in a park area, I thought so pretty!

I am like you, like walking around and just seeing things on my own. I like to dawdle and gawk! My boyfriend not into birds and stuff. They have these little doves all over that are just darling, but I left the washing machine lid up (it is on the balcony of his apartment) and apparently big no-no cuz little birdies perch on a line above and poo right into machine. I didn't know! :lol: We had to run an empty cycle with bleach for 4 tiny little dove poos. I just had to laugh! He should see a peacock PPP, then you need the heavy measures! I would have been good with wiping with soap paper towels and water. ;)

There are little bantam feral chickens all over and they are beautiful. I thought they would be raggedy looking with no caretaker but apparently there are enough bugs and stuff that they look shiny, and super healthy!

Welcome Jacob!

Nope on heat for me as well, lots of vents but no direct draft or wind on the birds when they roost.
I also just ran an extension cord out for the water as well.

Danz, still thinking of traveling South, but Sunday was crazy and this weekend does not look any better now. 2 retirement parties that are must attends this coming Sat. I will try and pm you by Fri if I think can make the trip.

Thank you all for your input. It has a flat roof but im going to add an A frame roof. The coop is 4 w 4 l and 6 h four 1x1 nesting box. The run is 4x8 i will have an additional 8x8 addition when founds allow. Chicks are in the house i have four Rir. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Welcome Jacob!

Nope on heat for me as well, lots of vents but no direct draft or wind on the birds when they roost.
I also just ran an extension cord out for the water as well.

Danz, still thinking of traveling South, but Sunday was crazy and this weekend does not look any better now. 2 retirement parties that are must attends this coming Sat. I will try and pm you by Fri if I think can make the trip.
h

How did you vent it do there was no draft

Back
Top Bottom