Consolidated Kansas

What are preferred breeds for Kansas?
What @Chicken Danz said.

My little Golden Campine did fine in the cold except when she was molting last November when it got so cold. Of course Orpingtons do well in the cold, and so far they have done well in the heat. Most of the standard breeds will do fine in the summer if they have shade and plenty of water.

Enjoy. We have some wonderful breeders here in Kansas that have birds that are far superior to those from hatcheries. Danz (near Burlington) has beautiful birds as does @Trish44 over near Wichita. I'm hoping to have some variously colored Orpingtons next summer. My pullets are about 18 weeks old, and I'm keeping a Jubilee cockerel (if he doesn't tick me off too much in the meantime). But I'm just a dabbler, and Danz and Trish know better what they are doing.

Where are you located? Welcome to the group, we chat about lots of chicken and not chicken related stuff here.

We have 5 what we were told were americaunas but are really Easter eggers. 5 rir, a barred rock and a black sex link. Just picked up 3 blue copper Marans from a local breeder in baldwin city. Looking to maybe do some show quality marans breeding projects. The Easter egg chickens don't lay as good as our rirs. Out of 4 hens we get 0,1 or 2 per day. Just built a sweet coop for them. Our first coop from orschelns last year is starting to fall apart but we use it for chicks til old enough to integrate. I just got an rcom10 cause the hovabators I tried are no good. 1 hatched out of 2 batches and didn't live long.

here is our Easter egg roo.

What @Chicken Danz said.

My little Golden Campine did fine in the cold except when she was molting last November when it got so cold. Of course Orpingtons do well in the cold, and so far they have done well in the heat. Most of the standard breeds will do fine in the summer if they have shade and plenty of water.

Enjoy. We have some wonderful breeders here in Kansas that have birds that are far superior to those from hatcheries. Danz (near Burlington) has beautiful birds as does @Trish44 over near Wichita. I'm hoping to have some variously colored Orpingtons next summer. My pullets are about 18 weeks old, and I'm keeping a Jubilee cockerel (if he doesn't tick me off too much in the meantime). But I'm just a dabbler, and Danz and Trish know better what they are doing.

Where are you located? Welcome to the group, we chat about lots of chicken and not chicken related stuff here.

In Topeka

You can have about any breed of chicken in Kansas. Chickens are pretty adaptable to all sorts of climates. I don't think I'd recommend a Hedemora cause it gets too hot for them and some of the smaller bantams that are lightly feathered may need acclimating for winter. It all depends on what you want a chicken for. Meat, laying, entertainment etc.
Welcome to the group and feel free to ask whatever you like, as well as tell us about yourself.
Glad you got your chicks,Trish. I think I read that if you don't get the package on time with Express the postal service will refund shipping. I was reading some of that earlier today.
I spent my entire day starting to get caught up indoors today. I've been so busy working outside that the house and stuff has been ignored way too long. Cleaning makes me grouchy. I didn't start my chores until 7:00 PM and had to quit because it got too dark see.
I'm looking for laying hens. I don't want to raise chicks and I want eggs soon. Are you selling right now?

Yeah, I ordered the newer version of the one I have in the other coop from Fleming. I really like the one I have.

The run will go East about 30 feet and then South to the south line fence. We will patch in a bit of fence between the coop and the existing chain link fence on the west side. I had to keep it off the fence in order to paint it, and that will give the chickens some west side area in winter to sun bathe and in summer to escape the morning sun.

A friend and I worked at a garage sale on the Fabulous Finds on HWY 99 this weekend. She has more stuff than you can imagine, so I sat with her this afternoon and mostly just kept her company. They were really busy. I was honestly quite surprised at how busy they were. Got nothing done on the coop, but I'll have some time to finish the primer tomorrow. I need to take advantage of DH to get the pop door installed and help cut some 1/4" underlayment for the walls. It is solid wood, just very thin, and it will take both of us to run it through the table saw. Measure twice, cut once, right? I can manages smaller pieces, but not full sheets of the stuff. There is a ton I can get done before Wayne gets to the windows, so I need to get started.
They're going to have a nice big pen. That means room for expansion!!! I am so excited for you. I wish you were a lot closer. I'd love to come help you. Like I have spare time! But sometimes it's just nice to change pace and work on someone else's projects. My sister is getting ready to run a water line to her "project" house.
When she gets it all ready I am going to go in and run the trencher for her and help her hook up the water. Again I don't have time but it will be great working along side of her. She's more like me and would rather be building something or working on anything but inside cleaning house. My older sister is a neat freak and her house is always totally spotless. I don't know how people stand to clean all the time.
We have 5 what we were told were americaunas but are really Easter eggers. 5 rir, a barred rock and a black sex link. Just picked up 3 blue copper Marans from a local breeder in baldwin city. Looking to maybe do some show quality marans breeding projects. The Easter egg chickens don't lay as good as our rirs. Out of 4 hens we get 0,1 or 2 per day. Just built a sweet coop for them. Our first coop from orschelns last year is starting to fall apart but we use it for chicks til old enough to integrate. I just got an rcom10 cause the hovabators I tried are no good. 1 hatched out of 2 batches and didn't live long.
That is a breed trait. RIR are just better layers but will burn out sooner. At the age your birds are they should be molting if they haven't already and you may not be getting any or few eggs for awhile.
Those little coops from Orschelns are really cute but they are way too small if you have over 3 chickens and they are made out of really cheap products. A good wind can blow one over too. They're definitely made for looks. Glad to hear you got a new coop built.
I'm looking for laying hens. I don't want to raise chicks and I want eggs soon. Are you selling right now?
I really don't have any chickens to sell right now but some excess cockerels. It's usually a pretty good time of year to buy hens in the fall, cause a lot of people are downsizing for the winter. I'd be watching the Kansas poultry swap sites on Facebook if I were you and looking on craigslist. Unfortunately if you don't know how to judge age on birds it's pretty easy to get taken. I don't normally sell hens but I have this year just to get some breeds to smaller groups. And I hatched way too many this spring with a terrible spring market. It was an expensive mistake for sure. I am trying to tell myself I am only going to custom hatch chickens next spring.
Of course I never have the incubators shut down completely. Right now I am hatching some birds for a project color in Orpingtons and I've finally got a couple of pullets starting to lay in colors I've been waiting for. Of course I have to do test hatches to see when the eggs are fertile. (that's my excuse.)

They're going to have a nice big pen. That means room for expansion!!! I am so excited for you. I wish you were a lot closer. I'd love to come help you. Like I have spare time! But sometimes it's just nice to change pace and work on someone else's projects. My sister is getting ready to run a water line to her "project" house.
When she gets it all ready I am going to go in and run the trencher for her and help her hook up the water. Again I don't have time but it will be great working along side of her. She's more like me and would rather be building something or working on anything but inside cleaning house. My older sister is a neat freak and her house is always totally spotless. I don't know how people stand to clean all the time.
That is a breed trait. RIR are just better layers but will burn out sooner. At the age your birds are they should be molting if they haven't already and you may not be getting any or few eggs for awhile.
Those little coops from Orschelns are really cute but they are way too small if you have over 3 chickens and they are made out of really cheap products. A good wind can blow one over too. They're definitely made for looks. Glad to hear you got a new coop built.
I really don't have any chickens to sell right now but some excess cockerels. It's usually a pretty good time of year to buy hens in the fall, cause a lot of people are downsizing for the winter. I'd be watching the Kansas poultry swap sites on Facebook if I were you and looking on craigslist. Unfortunately if you don't know how to judge age on birds it's pretty easy to get taken. I don't normally sell hens but I have this year just to get some breeds to smaller groups. And I hatched way too many this spring with a terrible spring market. It was an expensive mistake for sure. I am trying to tell myself I am only going to custom hatch chickens next spring.
Of course I never have the incubators shut down completely. Right now I am hatching some birds for a project color in Orpingtons and I've finally got a couple of pullets starting to lay in colors I've been waiting for. Of course I have to do test hatches to see when the eggs are fertile. (that's my excuse.)

That's your story & you're sticking with it, lol danz on the hatching. You're just addicted to it, tell it like it is, ha ha. I on the other hand love to take a break during the fall & winter & then I'm ready for it all again in the spring.

MaSmith if you want the links to the swaps on FB send me a PM on here & I'll give them to you. I'm not allowed to post them on here, it's a conflict with their buy/sell forum. I run both the Kansas Poultry Swap & the Kansas Farm Animal Swap along with my co-admin HEChicken who doesn't post here any more. She is very busy with her farm now. Just be careful like danz said about the birds you buy & be sure to quarantine them for at least two weeks when you bring new birds in just in case of illness. You wouldn't want to wipe out all you have from bringing in new birds. Sometimes illness doesn't show up right off.

That's your story & you're sticking with it, lol danz on the hatching. You're just addicted to it, tell it like it is, ha ha. I on the other hand love to take a break during the fall & winter & then I'm ready for it all again in the spring.

MaSmith if you want the links to the swaps on FB send me a PM on here & I'll give them to you. I'm not allowed to post them on here, it's a conflict with their buy/sell forum. I run both the Kansas Poultry Swap & the Kansas Farm Animal Swap along with my co-admin HEChicken who doesn't post here any more. She is very busy with her farm now. Just be careful like danz said about the birds you buy & be sure to quarantine them for at least two weeks when you bring new birds in just in case of illness. You wouldn't want to wipe out all you have from bringing in new birds. Sometimes illness doesn't show up right off.
I'm not sure how to PM on here. I found the FB groups you mentioned. I don't know how to chose birds either. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom