Consolidated Kansas

Its hatch day! We have the first pip just starting.....I am impatient so I am glad my cows are calving like crazy today, keep me busy so I leave the eggs alone. All 8 Exchequer leghorn eggs made it to lockdown, I had had problems getting my humidity above 75% so hopefully that is high enough. We will see!

Its hatch day! We have the first pip just starting.....I am impatient so I am glad my cows are calving like crazy today, keep me busy so I leave the eggs alone. All 8 Exchequer leghorn eggs made it to lockdown, I had had problems getting my humidity above 75% so hopefully that is high enough. We will see!

75% is really high, I hope they don't drown. I incubate at about 45% & hatch about 55-60%, depending on what I'm hatching. Ducks have to have higher humidity to hatch. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
I took a three day old chick from a silkie and stuck it under my BCM hen that had 7 chicks already. She accepted it fine. I know you don't want to give a broody hen chicks to quickly. Chicken Danz would be the best to ask about timeing but I know it can be done.

We have 3 chicks, all fully hatched within an hour of each other this morning.! A 4th egg is pipped. We did a quick candle of the non pipped and I think 3 out of the remaining 4 look dead. We will give them a couple more days and see what we get though!

Noisy little things. I'll grab some pics later when they dry off. We officially have exchequeur leghorns!

"75% is really high"

That was a typo......I am shooting for 65-70%.

I'd say that was still way high. I have never hatched at over 58% and even then that is too high. I'd guess that is why you have some chicks that didn't make it. Of course, do I remember right that you are hatching in a styro? That can create some different levels in itself. Spots where temp and humidity vary a lot.
Quote:
Just a quick question. Can you give chickens sliced pineapple? Been looking online, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.
I don't think pineapple causes a problem per say but I avoid all tropical fruits. Reason being that citrus is poisonous to chickens and there are several tropical fruits that are really close. If they eat it without reluctance it's probably safe. Chickens are pretty smart when it comes to eating or not eating things that will harm them.

We have 3 chicks, all fully hatched within an hour of each other this morning.! A 4th egg is pipped. We did a quick candle of the non pipped and I think 3 out of the remaining 4 look dead. We will give them a couple more days and see what we get though!

Noisy little things. I'll grab some pics later when they dry off. We officially have exchequeur leghorns!

Congrats on the chicks you got. I have two Exchequer Leghorn hens that I got from a friend & have had them for several years. They're funny little things, not friendly at all but good layers. These two are probably not laying as well any more due to their age. I raise Mille Fleur Leghorns though so I may hatch out some eggs for replacements for the Exchequers. I like having a mixture of different breeds in my laying flock just for eggs. My egg customers like the different colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom