Constipated chicken with gleet vent

I have now pretty much cleared up the vent gleet. Still working on the sour crop, but she is still having a big issue pooping. After attempting for aabout 20 seconds, she is finally able to get so out but has to peck it off her bottom. I have been giving her coconut oil (however, not sure howmuch I should be giving her) and I did what I thought I would never have to do and used my pinky, very gently to see if there was a blockage but could not find anything.

I have now pretty much cleared up the vent gleet. Still working on the sour crop, but she is still having a big issue pooping. After attempting for aabout 20 seconds, she is finally able to get so out but has to peck it off her bottom. I have been giving her coconut oil (however, not sure howmuch I should be giving her) and I did what I thought I would never have to do and used my pinky, very gently to see if there was a blockage but could not find anything.
Have you treated the Sour Crop with an anti-fungal/yeast medication?
If not, then consider doing that. Nystatin, Clotrimazole and Miconazole are some common treatments for Sour Crop. Some use Acidified Copper Sulfate. See the article linked below.

I'm glad she's improving. Hopefully she can get past all this and be able to get back with her flock soon.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have you treated the Sour Crop with an anti-fungal/yeast medication?
If not, then consider doing that. Nystatin, Clotrimazole and Miconazole are some common treatments for Sour Crop. Some use Acidified Copper Sulfate. See the article linked below.

I'm glad she's improving. Hopefully she can get past all this and be able to get back with her flock soon.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I have been treating the sour crop for a few days now, with monistat. I am just more worried about her having a hard time going to the bathroom. There is no blockage that I can tell.

I have been treating the sour crop for a few days now, with monistat. I am just more worried about her having a hard time going to the bathroom. There is no blockage that I can tell.
She had all those crusty urates from the prolapse, so she may have some buildup in the intestines, like a plug. Is it still crusty or the vent looks all healed up, smooth and pliable?
Could be she suffered some damage and this is going to be the way it is from now on - hard to know.

Try applying some mineral oil to the crust, see if that will help soften it so it will come on out.
This may be part of why she's struggling to poop.
I am starting to think it may not be poop around her vent. No matter how much I soak it, it won't soften. I did try mineral oil as well. She seems very uncomfortable when I try to just take a bit off the top and she normally isn't to bad when I have to do cream on her vent. Could it be a scab? I am also going to retreat her for vent gleet because she still has that white stuff coming out of her vent even though the swelling went down.

I am starting to think it may not be poop around her vent. No matter how much I soak it, it won't soften. I did try mineral oil as well. She seems very uncomfortable when I try to just take a bit off the top and she normally isn't to bad when I have to do cream on her vent. Could it be a scab? I am also going to retreat her for vent gleet because she still has that white stuff coming out of her vent even though the swelling went down.
Do you have photos of what it looks like now?

Yes, it's likely urates and scab, in your initial photo, there was what looked like blood. Likely she was picked or had prolapsed or...?

The scab/dried urates will have to heal and fall off, then she may feel more comfortable, but sometimes the dried scabby stuff/urates can form a core or hollow tube in there, it will usually work itself out, but keeping the tissues moist with oil or ointment will help.

Almost looks like leaking urates, did she prolapse and the tissue get picked at?
She's been bleeding some?

I'd give her a soaking in epsom salts, clean the vent. Apply the coconut oil or some mineral oil to see if those help remove some of the stuck on urates.

Back
Top Bottom