constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
COOPERS HAWKS HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM

Lately migrant Coopers Hawks have been coming through targeting song birds resting in fence to north of front porch. They have also been making runs at Brownie's brood and apparently disrupted it once but Brownie, the dogs, and possibly Ralph have been stopping hawks short. I have seen three attacks in as many days and assume the many more have occurred than I have seen. Hawks have all been juvenile and if like in past years they will only get small juveniles not attended by adults. Front porch flock should again be good this year.

Brownie and her chicks coming back from gorging on grasshoppers across the road.

And what bug isn't tasty to a hen?

Scott

Several kinds of beetles (most with red on them but some with bright yellow like some of the cucumber beetles), several kinds of bugs (most with red on them), and velvet ants. Some caterpillars with spines / hairs seem to be ignored as well. With the exception of the velvet ants, most of the red insects are associated with milkweed around here. Box-elder bugs which are periodically abundant may be getting their nastiness elsewhere. Hen with chicks makes a particular sound when such are encountered that I thinks indicates disgust to chicks. Chicks seem to take suggestion by mom seriously.

Last edited:
I know you'll come up with something interesting. You always do.

How about some fake plants she can see through and escape through if needed? I find them to be plentiful and inexpensive at the local second hand stores.

To allow her to have babies out in the open and no protection is a death sentence to her and her babies, without a doubt

Quote:
Looking for fresh ideas from those that are either have a different background or able to think outside box because they do not already "know" what will not work.

Quote:
Looking for fresh ideas from those that are either have a different background or able to think outside box because they do not already "know" what will not work.

Okie Dokie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom