Vent Prolapse (dead tissue/intestines ??)

You can feed cooked egg and mushy chicken feed adding water to each.
hi eggcessive thank you for commenting!

I ended up giving her some wet chicken mash today, and she did eat some

I’ve tried giving my chickens scrambled eggs in the past and they’ve never seem interested in them.
I wonder if they don’t like the way I cook them ? Lol if you have tips of preparing eggs for chickens, I would definitely appreciate it !

You can use a sling to help hold the prolapse in for periods, or overnight, when you can't watch constantly (link below with some pictures). Prolapses will often keep coming back out when they strain, either to poop, or sometimes when there is damage or scabbing, that makes them feel like they need to push. Don't be afraid to really slather it up before pushing it in, you really, really don't want it to dry out. I've dealt with a couple of prolapses that took a week to get it to stay in on it's own.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/

Thank you for tips and tricks, I really do appreciate it!
I did try the sling about a day ago and it still wanted to pop out but maybe it was because the tissue was to swollen, I’m trying the sling again tonight now that the tissue looks less swollen, fingers crossed it helps the prolapse stay overnight !

And definitely, I’ve been over using the lubricant at nighttime before bed, and whenever I leave the house to make sure the tissue stays moist!

Yes if you have the red pieces, cut them open and see what's inside. They are probably blood clots.

You did fine with the Calcium. Calcium Carbonate will work in a crisis too, don't fret over that :hugs

You're doing a good job taking care of her. I'd keep her hydrated and let her eat, she needs nutrition to heal and keep her stamina up. Mushy feed as suggested or bits of egg.
Hi wyorp,
I ended up cutting the red thing open tonight, and to me appears to be a blood clot, I’ll post photos of it below for you to decide
IMG_5754.jpeg
IMG_5755.jpeg

Thank you for your kind words I really do appreciate it!
And I appreciate everyone who been commenting, and helping me, y'all are amazing!
I made her some wet chicken mash today, and she did eat a bit of that

Late night update !

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
@coach723
@dawg53
@MysteryChicken

So today has been a good day for our little patient, she been more active and perky similar to yesterday, her appetite isn’t quite back to normal but its definitely improving.

I think she might of had a slight impacted crop, so I did give her a docusate sodium pill since I didn’t have coconut oil on hand (I can pick some up tomorrow though) and messaged her crop for about 10-15 minutes, it definitely feels smaller but I don’t think it empty fully ?

Durning her daily Epson salt bath, we had a lot of tissue sloughing off, underneath the gray/yellow tissue was red/pink tissue that looks a lot less concerning to me, and makes me think she’s going to recover fully

The prolapse still wants to pop out durning bowel movements but generally stays in when she’s not pooping, I do clean the tissue anytime she poops, and reapply ointment of course but should I be worried about the healthy tissue getting infected ? Should I pick up any antibiotics for her ?

Here are some updated pictures of the prolapse, again, thank you everyone who’s commented and help me during this little emergency, I really appreciate yall help through this !
I’ll keep updating everyone as the week goes on

IMG_5743.jpeg
IMG_5744.jpeg
IMG_5745.jpeg
IMG_5749.jpeg
IMG_5750.jpeg
IMG_5753.jpeg
IMG_5752.jpeg
IMG_5747.jpeg

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
I'd consider giving Amoxicillin if you have it, since you're having to push it in quite often.

I do, I have some amoxicillin 250mg that was stored in the fridge !

The only problem is that it expired in 2021…

I know some people still use medicines past the expiration date but I’m not sure if that okay to do so in a situation like this ?

I could always pick up a fresh bottle if you think that’s a better idea ?
IMG_5756.jpeg
IMG_5757.jpeg

You cannot buy amoxicillin anywhere right now. There is a national shortage and only doctors or vets can prescribe it. I have been known to use outdated medicines if they have been kept fresh and airtight. Up to you. I don’t think it is a life and death situation if she doesn’t get them at this time. It is always good to plan for the future when you have farm animals, and try to source medications for when you need them. That said, I have recently thrown away a lot of unopened antibiotics that were too far out of date.

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
@coach723
@dawg53
@MysteryChicken

New update with miss Marcy, her prolapse has stayed in past 24/hrs even with her pooping so I’m extremely happy about her prolapse progress, her crop feels small and seems to be emptying, so again, very happy.

The only issue we’re having is her being lethargic, she wants to sleep for nearly the whole day, and she not eating or drinking nearly enough.

I’ve given her poultry drench in her water, and some other homemade electrolyte's I found on this site in her water

I have tried different foods including chicken mash, scrambled eggs, and smashed up blue berries (her favorite treat) and she does eat some but not enough for me to be satisfied
She still pretty alert and aware of her soundings but she obviously not acting like her old self and her appetite is none existent, and it’s a little concerning

Is there anything else I can do to help with her lethargy any ?
Any help or trips would be greatly appreciated!!

I feel like she can make a 100% recovery, if I can just help her through her lethargy, and getting her appetite in improve !!

Please,
IMG_5853.jpeg
again any advice or remedies would be hugely helpful !

IMG_5854.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom