constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sallie is having a bad day. Snow is coming down and wind is wipping it around. I placed an additional piece of plywood below nest to reduce heat loss through bottom of nest. Sallie must be really cranking up her metabolism to heat those eggs. Eduardo is now staying near Sallies nest site most of day. Balance of his harem also committing to setting their nest so he will be without much to do for a week or two.

41527_sallie_brooding_eggs_2011_march_26.jpg

I gave cardboard box cover serious thought. Two concerns: 1) Sallie might abandon nest owing to change and 2) she would not be able to bailout of nest if predator comes resulting in loss of her as well as clutch.

Most of heat loss through bottom of nest. Evidence from snow not melting on or very close to Sallie. Not able to measure temperature of clutch directly but seems similar to that of hens nesting in more protected locations. Sallie may have compensated for reduced temperatures in part by not leaving nest yesterday. Today I will ensure she can quickly feed up with top quality nutrient dense food when she takes her break.

Something worth noting is that Sallies ancestors used to frequently nest on ground in woods during this time of year. Many of our walks lacked suitable nesting sites in buildings, especially when cattle sought cover from cold and wind. Yet, best hatches were realized so long as temperatures were not too low prior to initiation of brooding. Somehow contact with soil either prior to setting of clutch and/or during incubation promotes hatch. Most hens stood out like sore thumbs even at night when snow on ground. Only exceptions were grey redquill hens but they stood out like sore thumbs when no snow cover.

Sallie is investing heavily in her clutch. Eduardo (father) should also prove to be an exempliary parent. If he is typical of line, then he will not only help with locating food but will also actively defend chicks and continue roosting with them even when Sallie commits to another breeding cycle. This will be first time for me to actually intermingle with a free ranging family unit. I am betting that Sallie and Eduardo will bring chicks to me and the entire group will be relaxed enough lay on ground next to me if sit down and read a book.

Upon coming off nest at about 1300 (1:00 AM), Sallie made quite a ruckus. Darn red jungle fowl hen was parasitizing Sallie's nest. I spotted and removed egg. When I call Sallie waste no time in respect food. She promptly flies for meal worms and some of activity seems to be for stretching purposes. I took her into house to be weighed and she has lost a good amount. Now down to about 1412 g with topped off crop. She is the only broody hen I have ever trusted in close proximity to my face. I remember too many floggings as kid from game hens when attempted to grab chicks or move a brood so larger animals coud be cared for.

Second broody hen, a dominique, is right next to Sallie. Second hen not as sweet, in part becuae not hand raised. Her presence also riling Sallie. Scoob (pup) now has two places to sniff for proper peckings on nose.

While feeding on high density mix, she targetted BOSS and scratch leaving very little of layer pellets provided. Based on distension of her crop, Sallie consumed a lot of tender grass shoots and what suspect are crane fly larvae.

Last edited:
As of this morning, my wife called to say Sallie has six chicks with more possible. Hatching could not have occured prior to 0500 on Saturday. According to my understanding of calendar, 23-24 days of incubation required for eggs to hatch. Had similar problem with another clutch hatched using incubator. Apparently eggs being too cool prior to setting does slow start of development. Prior to collection of eggs or Sallie committing to setting, temperature did get as low as 28 F multiple times.

I am 600 miles away at moment and will not be in position photograph until Thursday. I will have Sallie lead bitties on to scale so they can be weighed and photographed individually. Hope is have it so that when male chicks become stags and tied up in yard, they will jump up onto mobile stand to be weighed rapidly on scale. Want to be able to tract weight changes without stressing birds or taking all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom