constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the whole thread in a nut shell:
You are raising chickens totally free range without a coop.
You feel this makes the chickens stronger and more following their natural survival abilities.
Your hen is nesting in a box on your front porch.
You want to protect her from red-tail hawks because she isnt protected by her flock.

If its survival of the fittest why protect her...
hu.gif
But that said why not put up some camoflaged netting in a canopy out from your front porch. You can buy it at an Army Surplus store or you could make your own using Aviary netting with strips of green and brown cloth woven in randomly add in a few branches too. This will protect her from the hawks and give her cover on her way back to her nest.
Ya know maybe just a flap of aviary netting that you could roll down at night, and raise up in the day or something.

Wow she is a powerful flier. Strong and straight.... i had to laugh at the Cackle she performed the whole way across the field.

Hows that Baby Trueman walking and talking yet....? Write his first dissertation yet.... VBG.

deb

Walking well. Talking with 6 words used in context. Wrestles dogs already, Not writing yet but already has intense interest in computer and anything mechanical. I hope he will follow me when feeding before winter breaks.

Ground is too hilly for pulling but great for down hill. He and forth coming sibling will be able to go down grade that is several hundred feet long. I am already older, friends have grankids in grade school while we are justing starting. I will have Trueman stargazing; astronomy related readings are my favorite bedtime stories for him. We will also be able to pursue such when observing nocturnal visits by predators. That has been fun lately.

He is learning bad habits from me. This summer he is scheduled be flogged by broody hen that will most likely be nesting on front porch for season three. If he is like me, hen will not have last word so I will have to do some explaining about why she worries about her babies. I do not want him to go the unsupervised route I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom