constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this post all the way through and it is hands down the most interesting thread I have come across on BYC. Thank you for taking the time to share your observations.

perchie.girl :

stomping feet...... I wanna night camera......
lau.gif
Soo cute..... My little ones are eight weeks and three weeks respectively.... Guineas all and .... I wannna night camera.....

I love your posts.....
clap.gif
centrarchid

I am using a Sony Handy Cam. Very flexible and allows video clips as well. Are you certain your camera does not have night vision? Even if it does not, you can get birds used to low light levels for your focus to work then flash can do rest.​

Quote:
I am using a Sony Handy Cam. Very flexible and allows video clips as well. Are you certain your camera does not have night vision? Even if it does not, you can get birds used to low light levels for your focus to work then flash can do rest.

I would love to get another 35mm reflex that shoots with actual film. With 1000 speed film I can photograph with the light from a match.... Sadly my last one went years ago to pay a vet bill for a dying horse. One day though. maybe a Sony SLR digital ... one day.

Flight school for Sallie chicks underway. I am trying to promote flights using food.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingChicken1000

Goal is to get flights as follows that can be filmed.

This winter flights of 400 to 600 feet will be attempted. Like those shown above, flights this winter will be voluntary in that birds will decide upon destination and launch on thier own accord. Doubling or even tripling those distances will require conditioning and adrenaline. Latter flights will likely be under some duress although not as bad a that imposed by chicken flying contest held at some fairs.

Red jungle hen has stopped clucking and she has taken on the plump-boxy look. She found nest box with dirt on front porch and scratched out a depression sometime yesterday. Eduardo now courts her a lot. Her chicks still associate with her and she still gives tid bit call once in a while. The chicks are now large enough to successfully capture insects as well as their mother. Once egg laying commences it should take about 10 days for her to begin brooding again. Chicks of this brood will have her guidance for at least that long.

I will swap out red jungle hens eggs for dom eggs to lighten load on incubator and brooder.

Last edited:
Busted Eduardo in act of making a sound I never really heard before well enough to describe. It is a churtling sound that is similar to tid bitting and growling. Vocalization made when he was trying to help red jungle hen find a nest site. It is very distinctive but hard to hear from any distance. Something is different in red jungle hens egg song stimulating Eduardo's behavior. I do not think red jungle fowl has laid first egg yet.

Oooh, too bad you couldn't record it. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has ever heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom