constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to BYC and just read this whole thread tonight. I truly enjoyed it and look forward to more

Oh, and centrarchid- How do your dominiques perform on a free range setting? Do they go broody often? If so, are they good mothers?

Oh, and centrarchid- How do your dominiques perform on a free range setting? Do they go broody often? If so, are they good mothers?

I am only into year three with dominiques and all rearing to date has been using incubators and brooders. They can become broody but they are not nearly as inclined to do so as games or red jungle fowl. This summer will be first round of allowing hen-hatched and -reared dominiques. With respect to free ranging the jury is still out and making any such evaluations requires something else to compare with. Only comparisons I can make are with American games, red jungle fowl and crosses involving American games and California greys with dominiques. What I have found is the domiques will follow birds with strong foraging abilities but the dominiques themselves are not good leaders. I have pretty good predator control where the dominiques free range not enabling any real assessment there but when neighbors dogs have come in before my dog was matured, the dominiques where hit hardest. Still total birds lost to predators has been less than 15% over three years. Dominiques take longer to adopt higher more protected roosting sites as juveniles which is a potential problem.

Over time, my evaluation will be with birds that can as juveniles and beyond effectively use a whole grain dominated diet supplemented with what a free-ranging on a fescue / legume dominated pasture will support.

Some domique strains sourced from Missouri are very parasite resistant with respect to cocci and worms. Another Missouri strain has shown itself prone to respiratory infections. A show strain from Ohio which is very large, eats a lot and tends to have brittle feathers. Same strain also conforms best to existing interpretation of the Standard of Perfection (SOP), hence their kin do very well at show but I am not impressed with their free-range performance.

In summary, strain is very important so if you have long-term interest in dominiques, then get dominiques from multiple strains and evaluate them in your setting. Be prepared to make crosses between strains and then select on performance and SOP.

Very cool observations. I wish you made youtube videos of your birds! Thumbs up.

I am only into year three with dominiques and all rearing to date has been using incubators and brooders. They can become broody but they are not nearly as inclined to do so as games or red jungle fowl. This summer will be first round of allowing hen-hatched and -reared dominiques. With respect to free ranging the jury is still out and making any such evaluations requires something else to compare with. Only comparisons I can make are with American games, red jungle fowl and crosses involving American games and California greys with dominiques. What I have found is the domiques will follow birds with strong foraging abilities but the dominiques themselves are not good leaders. I have pretty good predator control where the dominiques free range not enabling any real assessment there but when neighbors dogs have come in before my dog was matured, the dominiques where hit hardest. Still total birds lost to predators has been less than 15% over three years. Dominiques take longer to adopt higher more protected roosting sites as juveniles which is a potential problem.

Over time, my evaluation will be with birds that can as juveniles and beyond effectively use a whole grain dominated diet supplemented with what a free-ranging on a fescue / legume dominated pasture will support.

Some domique strains sourced from Missouri are very parasite resistant with respect to cocci and worms. Another Missouri strain has shown itself prone to respiratory infections. A show strain from Ohio which is very large, eats a lot and tends to have brittle feathers. Same strain also conforms best to existing interpretation of the Standard of Perfection (SOP), hence their kin do very well at show but I am not impressed with their free-range performance.

In summary, strain is very important so if you have long-term interest in dominiques, then get dominiques from multiple strains and evaluate them in your setting. Be prepared to make crosses between strains and then select on performance and SOP.

where did you get your doms?

All over the place. Started with following.

Four Voter hens and a trio of Hyman strain from Fred Farthing of Missouri.

A cock from a dual purpose production flock in Missouri which may be of old Voter strain very much removed from above. Offspring of this guy and Voter hens are core of line I will call my own after a few years of selection.

A trio from Mike Stichler of Ohio. These birds throw very heavy offspring. Feed requirments for maintenance is high.

Three cockerels from Guerney Davis of North Carolina. Small and good foragers but very susceptable to large roundworms that other strains not affected by.

Twenty-five from Cackle Hatchery. Good egg producers and some still look like old time dominiques.

Twenty five from Privett Hatchery of New Mexico. I suspect very strongly they have a lot of barred rock in their background.

The latter two sources have been dropped from by pure Dominique project but are retained in varying degrees for the Missouri Dominique project that also involves American game and California grey.

RESPONSE TO OWL WHILE ON ROOST

Many nights over last few months owls (barred and great horned) have come calling with impacts on front porch flock and waifs roosting in trees. The former visit to go after rodents but seemed to have issue with chickens roosting near its preferred hunting perches while latter came for chickens. Both owl species have the habit of making the chickens jump off roost although only great horned would actually take anybody and Scoob (dog) can very effectively block most efforts by great horned to take a chicken since the owl seemed to make the killing contact when chicken was on ground. Scoob simply stood on ground next to chicken(s) and watched owl obviously hoping it would come down for chicken which owl never did with Scoob present. Scoob has demonstrated the intent to break federal law and I have little doubt he would do it to get a mouth full of owl.

The chickens get upset with both species of owl and behave in a very distinctive manner while on roost. When they know an owl is present, they lean forward placing head and neck outstretched with a down angle. Tail it held nearly vertically and body feathers are fluffed up and hackle feathers are often raised.

RESPONSE TO OWL WHILE ON ROOST

Many nights over last few months owls (barred and great horned) have come calling with impacts on front porch flock and waifs roosting in trees. The former visit to go after rodents but seemed to have issue with chickens roosting near its preferred hunting perches while latter came for chickens. Both owl species have the habit of making the chickens jump off roost although only great horned would actually take anybody and Scoob (dog) can very effectively block most efforts by great horned to take a chicken since the owl seemed to make the killing contact when chicken was on ground. Scoob simply stood on ground next to chicken(s) and watched owl obviously hoping it would come down for chicken which owl never did with Scoob present. Scoob has demonstrated the intent to break federal law and I have little doubt he would do it to get a mouth full of owl.

The chickens get upset with both species of owl and behave in a very distinctive manner while on roost. When they know an owl is present, they lean forward placing head and neck outstretched with a down angle. Tail it held nearly vertically and body feathers are fluffed up and hackle feathers are often raised.

Interesting behavior, getting ready for fight or flight?

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom