Converting a covered hot tub nook into a coop

chickmamato7

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
Rochester, NY
I'm thinking I need to build a bedtime roosting area before winter, as my roo is getting pretty large & I'm worried my flock of 7 will soon outgrow their current sleeping arrangement (images 1 & 2).

My first plan was to build a ceiling mounted roosting box along the upper half of the sided wall (image 3)... but after bumping my head on my hanging roosts for the hundredth time and giving myself a black eye, I have banned all hanging obstacles that require me to duck!

Plan B: I have a nice sheltered area adjacent to the existing run/coop that could be used to build a large wooden coop with nesting boxes and multiple roosts. It has an existing outdoor light and plug, is watertight and sheltered (with ceiling already in place), and has easy access from an exterior door, so I wouldn't even need to shovel or step in any snow during winter! (images 4, 5 & 6)

Any ideas on the best way to convert this hot tub area (roughly 8' X 12') into an awesome coop? The open side (with the curtain) is facing west & the left side (with lattice) backs to the existing coop/run and faces north. Window w/siding area faces east, and railing side (near door well) faces south. I was thinking of leaving the lattice side as is and just installing an automatic door opener to connect the two areas. I am interested in design ideas centered around convenience, proper winter warmth & ventilation, & guarding against rodents and predators. It also needs to be fairly easy to convert, since I am more creative than handy. I do have a nice neighbor with some great tools, though, and he has offer to help:).

Thanks for any experienced ideas and insights that you can offer so I can do this right!

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5042.jpg
    IMG_5042.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5020.jpg
    IMG_5020.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5088.jpg
    IMG_5088.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5090.jpg
    IMG_5090.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 17
I'm anxious to get started on this project and was hoping for some design ideas that would prevent any problems I might not foresee. My plan so far is to build an 8 X 8' coop, extending about a foot beyond where the hot tub currently sits, so it exactly matches the the length of the stairs & railing. I'm thinking of adding a sliding barn door at the entrance (where the curtains are) to block wind and provide a chicken-free space for supply storage.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Should I use cinder blocks to raise the floor of the coop off the ground? I currently have an existing solid wood base laid over sand & pea gravel (to level the hot tub) & it stays completely dry, so wondering if I can just build directly on top of that?

2. Is 3/4" plywood over 1/2" hardware cloth (to cover entire floor base as well as a 2' perimeter skirt) a good enough floor material to prevent rodents & digging predators?

3. I'm thinking of using a smooth shower wall panel over the flooring for easy cleaning? Or is there something better/cheaper for that?

4. Is shed paneling a good enough wall material to use? I am not worried about rotting, since the ceiling extends more than 6' beyond the coop area in all directions & it stays completely dry in all weather. Just wondering if it will be warm enough and will be strong enough to keep raccoons out (we don't have bears, thankfully).

5. Will I need to line the inside of the coop with hardware cloth or is the hardware cloth under the floor & 2' skirt sufficient predator protection?

6. Where should I put ventilation? I'm thinking I should leave a 1' space between the top of the coop & the existing ceiling-- maybe only using hardware cloth over the entire coop top & leaving the entire lattice side also open. Is that enough ventilation or will it be too open for winter weather?

7. Anything I haven't thought of?

Thank you for any wisdom you can share!

Is the hot tub dead?
I sure would miss it in the winter if it is still functioning.

Why not build a coop inside the current run?

Or make the tiny coop run/combo all coop?
Cover all sides with solid walls, remove current interior divider wall, and put 2 roost lengthwise?
I think @rosemarythyme has an illustration?

Cover all sides with solid walls, remove current interior divider wall, and put 2 roost lengthwise?

Not so much an illustration, just pretty much same basic instructions:

So to turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise across the newly open space. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, but I don't know how cold it gets in winter - though you also make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for hot and humid summers.

Is the hot tub dead?
I sure would miss it in the winter if it is still functioning.

Why not build a coop inside the current run?

Thanks for responding! It's just an inexpensive blow-up hot tub that can't be left out in winter. I was initially torn about using that space, because it is nice to relax in the tub after a hard day of gardening... but it hardly gets used in the 4 months it's out of storage for all the electricity and maintenance it requires. Then again, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to expand my coop so I can get more chickens!

I really like the idea of converting the small run into a larger protected roosting area. That would be an easy and inexpensive fix for this winter and then I will have more time to decide if I should expand my flock and coop. I think I'm just feeling worried about how hard winter will be, trudging all the way through the snow every morning and night, but it is probably best to experience at least one winter with the current set-up before impulsively spending on something I may not need.

Thank you for the idea. I will post pics when it's done.

Not so much an illustration, just pretty much same basic instructions:

So to turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise across the newly open space. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, but I don't know how cold it gets in winter - though you also make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for hot and humid summers.

Thank you so much for sharing your conversion plans. I love this idea and it will be so much easier and less expensive than what I had planned. I can't wait to get started and will share pics when it's done!

Back
Top Bottom