Cookie The Rooster...

so. once, when my flock was still to young to free range, about 1-2 months ago, i was slowly starting to take them out, 2 at a time, and watching over them. then, i took Cookie, and Hats. (the roo in my avatar) Hats stayed near me (bless his heart.) whereas Cookie wandered. he jumped over a log, and when i tried to go get him, he hid under a massive bush covered in bramble and poison oak. i couldn't get in that far. i still tried. Cookie fell asleep. i was still fretting about him. later, in the afternoon, i became so worried. when i didn't hear a reaction to me making loud noises, i (this was so stupid of me. i am humiliated that i did it.) put the hose on jet, and squirted it into the bush, desperate for a reaction. there was no reaction at all. i was starting to get worried. is he dead? is he ok? i started to think. i walked around to the other side of the bush, and then when i stepped into a fern, i saw a small golden creature jump and fly away so fast it was a golden blur. it was Cookie. i was so happy he was alive. then, i chased him over to a tree. he was on one side, i was on the other. i was thinking, this is the end. i got Cookie. he is ok. it's over. but no. i got more chaos. i heard a scraping noise and "bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk BAWK!" i didn't move. then, out of midair, Cookie fell to my side. i realized something. when Cookie was 2 weeks old, he had scaled a small rhododendron bush all the way to the top. he had probably scaled the tree. i looked up. the lowest branch was crazy high. i am assuming he had dropped from it. as i stood in awe, Cookie took the chance to get away from me. he dived back into the massive bush. i dived in after him. the branches blocked me from getting to him. yet Cookie was small enough to fit. i shoved a long branch into the bush, trying to scare him out. he raced away again. i went to the other side of the bush. he walked out, but when he saw me, tried to dive back in. once again, i tore after him. i grabbed his tail feathers firmly, and pulled him into my arms. he was ok. Cookie was ok. i carried him back to the coop. he was soaking from the hose. i felt so bad. i heard the gentle drip drip from his mohawk. he seemed very shaken. i put him back in the coop, after one final hug. all of the hens seemed very happy to see the wet, clumsy, Cookie back in the coop. (Hats had come in on his own.) Cookie drowsily walked to the sunny spot, after a sip of water,and a soft cluck. tripping over his thin feet in doing so. then, when Cookie made it, he took the longest nap he had ever taken. i was shaken for days.
yet Cookie was OK. Cookie was safe. he had made it home.
well, that is one story of Cookie i don't tell very often.
~Marie

Wow! What an adventure! (Sometimes in desperation, we do desperate things!) I'm glad he made it back safe and sound, dripping wet or not.
smile.png

If that had been me, I would also have been covered in a poison oak rash the next day LOL

Back
Top Bottom