Cooking question

Thanks for the info. It looks like he'd fit in our oven with about an inch or two clearance, so that's out unless I debone him. I do have a couple of smokers and was thinking on quartering him and smoking him, but I'm afraid he may dry out. He won't fit whole. I'm guessing he got so big because he self-supplemented with grasshoppers!

we usually have birds that dress out about that big. We also ask the butcher to cut it in half, but you can always do it urself. Birds these size rarely fit in the oven, and take many many many long hours of cooking whole. They usually get to done on the outside by the time the inside is at the right tempature. I highly recommend that you cut that big boy in half
Hope this helps.

I just finished smoked the first batch from the BBB's , (one tom, one hen) yesterday. I leave the some skin on them and place it skin side up. The fat between the skin and meat seem to self bast the meat. It was very juicy and tender when we tried it. I also use the water basin for chunks, and add a few to the charcoal to add to the taste. Sometimes I mix the type of hard wood we smoke with, cherry and hickory is the most popular mix I have used.

We also do the same thing when we use an oven to cook the breast, leave the skin on and place it so it's up.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom